Acamptas 333 Mg Tablet 6
Acamprosate is used to treat patients who are alcohol dependent. Acamprosate treats alcohol addiction and helps patients to avoid alcohol. The treatment is usually accompanied with patient counseling and social support.
How does the drug work?
Acamprosate is a neurotransmitter analogue. Continuous exposure of GABA proteins to the alcohol may alter balance between neuronal excitation and inhibition. Acamprosate interact with glutamate and GABA neurotransmitters centrally and restores the balance. Thus, acamprosate promotes alcohol abstinence in the alcohol-addicted patients.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of acamprosate are nausea, abdominal pain, decreased libido, impotence, itching, vomiting, fatigue, and fever.
• Acamptas is prescribed only if the benefits of Acamptas drug are more than its risks of side effects.
• Patients should right away report to the doctor if they experience serious Acamptas side effects such as mental or mood changes, or depression.
• Acamptas medicine may not work well if taken with alcohol. So patients should abstain from alcohol during treatment with Acamptas.
• Individuals who are allergic to Acamptas ingredients should inform the doctor and avoid the drug.
• Do not take the Acamptas tablet in conditions such as kidney or liver disorders.
• Acamptas tablet works better if the treatment includes counseling and social support.
1. Do I gain weight or lose during the acamprosate treatment? Patients who are on acamprosate treatment may lose or gain weight. Discuss with your doctor if you notice any alterations in your weight.
2. I experience loss of sexual interest during acamprosate treatment? What more effects I may experience while taking this medicine? Acamprosate medicine may cause sexual disability and changes in sexual desire. Talk with the doctor about the risks and benefits of the drug.
3. Is acamprosate safe for children? Children who are alcohol addicted should be treated with acamprosate only under medical supervision, as they may have suicidal thoughts while on acamprosate drug.
4. How to take acamprosate medicine? Acamprosate drug can be taken with or without food. Swallow the whole tablet, do not break, crush, or chew the tablet. It is better to take the drug under medical supervision.
5. Does acamprosate reduce alcohol withdrawal symptoms? No, acamprosate does not reduce alcohol withdrawal symptoms.