Alkacel 2 Mg Tablet 25
Melphalan is an anticancer medication. It is used for the treatment of multiple myeloma, amyloidosis, ovarian epithelial cancer and refractory Hodgkin lymphoma.
How does the drug work?
Melphalan is an alkylating agent. It is used for the treatment of cancer. It destroys the cancer or tumor cells in three steps. In the first step, it attaches to the alkyl group of the DNA bases and prevents the DNA synthesis and RNA transcription. In the second step, it caUSES formation of cross-links between atoms in the DNA and inhibits the synthesis or transcription of DNA. In the third step, it caUSES miscoding of DNA thereby caUSES disruption of DNA and results in cell death.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of melphalan include diarrhea, hair loss, nausea and vomiting, tarry stools, blood in urine or stools, chest pain, dark urine, dizziness or light-headedness, fainting, fast heartbeat, fatigue, fever or chills, irregular or absent menstrual periods, numbness of an arm or leg, pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site, loss of appetite, pale skin and irregular menstrual cycle.
• Patients who are allergic to Melphalan or similar drugs should avoid receiving Alkacel in order to prevent hypersensitive reactions.
• Alkacel should not be taken for 24 hours after taking palifermin.
• Alkacel is contraindicated in the patients who are on cisplastin therapy.
• Hair loss, nausea and vomiting, are the common side effects of Alkacel injection. Consult the physician if there are any such symptoms.
• Do not stop taking the medication abruptly. Consult the physician before stopping the treatment with Alkacel.
• Alkacel is anticancer medication. It should be prescribed with caution to the patients with bone marrow problems and low white blood cell count.
• Pregnant and lactating females should consult the physician before taking Alkacel as it can cause harm to the fetus and the baby.
• Store the medication in cool and dry place at room temperature. Keep the medication out of the reach of the children.
1. Are there any clinical tests which I need to undergo while taking Melphalan? Blood test, renal functioning test and liver function may be recommended by the physician to the patients who are on melphalan therapy.
2. How should I store the medication? Medication should be stored at room temperature away from light and heat.
3. Can I take other medications along with melphalan? Melphalan may interact with certain medications. So consult the physician before taking any medication.
4. Is melphalan effective against ovarian cancer? Melphalan is an anticancer drug and it is effective against ovarian cancer.
5. What should I do if I miss a dose? Consult the physician if you miss a dose. Do not take an extra dose as it can cause drug toxicity.