Alphadex 100 Mcg Injection 1 Ml
Dexmedetomidine is used as a sedative for short-term treatment of insomnia sleep problem) that is characterized by difficulty falling asleep at night, awakening too early, and difficulty concentrating.
How does the drug work?
Dexmedetomidine belongs to the class of drugs called sedatives. Dexmedetomidine works by modulating the alpha-2 receptors, and thereby, slowing the brain activity, and induces sleep.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of dexmedetomidine include constipation, diarrhea, drowsiness, dry mouth, vertigo, headache, fatigue, heartburn, double vision, confusion, back pain, abdominal pain, redness of the skin, nightmare, and nausea.
• Patients need to monitor the changes in heart rate and blood pressure during Alphadex treatment.
• Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant should not use Alphadex medication.
• Avoid using other sedatives along with Alphadex drug which may induce more sleep and calmness. This may sometimes lead to coma.
• Avoid taking grapefruit or grapefruit juice while on Alphadex medicine, as it interacts with the dexmedetomidine drug.
• Do not consume alcohol, as it may cause excess calmness and dizziness which are the side effects of Alphadex drug.
• Take the Alphadex drug exactly as prescribed by the doctor. The doctor, based on the patient’s condition will suggest Alphadex dosage and duration of treatment.
1. Is dexmedetomidine addictive? Yes. Dexmedetomidine is an addictive drug and should be used only when prescribed.
2. How long should I take the drug? Dexmedetomidine should be taken for not more than two weeks unless recommended by the doctor.
3. What are the symptoms of allergic reaction that might occur due to dexmedetomidine? Dexmedetomidine may cause allergic reactions and the symptoms include shortness of breath, hives, swelling of face, lips, and tongue. Stop using the medication and consult your doctor immediately, if you experience any of the above symptoms.
4. Can I take propoxyphene with dexmedetomidine? Propoxyphene may increase the severity of dexmedetomidine side effects. Therefore, these drugs should not be co-administered. Consult your doctor before taking the drug.
5. What happens if I miss the dose? Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Do not take double doses (missed dose and usual dose) at once as it may lead to potential complications.