Amantrel 100 Mg Capsule 10
Amantrel tablets consists of amantadine which is an antiviral drug used to treat respiratory infection caused by influenza A virus, and shingles caused by herpes zoster virus. Amantadine drug is also used to treat abnormal movements (uncontrolled shaking, slow movements, muscle stiffness) associated with Parkinson’s disease.
How does the drug work?
Amantrel capsules consist of drug amantadine which is classified under a group of drugs known as antivirals. Amantadine acts by blocking the reproduction of virus (viral replication) in the body. Amantadine also acts by blocking the activity of ‘NMDA glutamate receptors’ present in the brain, thereby inhibiting the generation of abnormal movements in Parkinson’s disease.
What are the common side effect?
Amantidine side effects include blurred vision, depression, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, skin rash, insomnia, difficulty in urination, and limb swelling.
Important Info Do not take amantadine drug, in case of fits, congestive heart failure, kidney or liver problems. Avoid using amantadine, in patients with ulcers in stomach or intestine, low blood pressure that may cause fainting, and eczema. Avoid amantadine, if the patient has history of visual problems such as glaucoma, history of mental problems such as confusion, hallucinations. Avoid using amantadine, in patients who are addicted to any drug or alcohol. Avoid consumption of alcohol while on treatment with amantadine. Do not stop taking amantadine suddenly without consulting the doctor. It may worsen the Parkinson’s disease. Use of amantadine may cause drowsiness, dizziness, fainting or blurring of vision that may affect your ability to concentrate. Avoid activities requiring alertness. Do consult the doctor before taking amantadine in case of pregnancy, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
1. Is amantadine a monoaminooxidase inhibitor (MAOI) or an anticholinergic drug? Amantadine is not a MAOI or an anticholinergic it is an antiviral drug.
2. Does amantadine help to relieve fatigue? Amantadine is effective in relieving fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis.
3. Is it safe to take amantidine with food or empty stomach? It is always better to take amantidine with food.
4. Is it safe to drive while on amantadine medication? No. Amantidine may cause blurred vision and dizziness, so avoid driving while on amantidine medication.
5. Does amantidine help to treat all types of throat infections? No. Amantidine is used to treat infections caused due to virUSES. It may not help to treat bacterial throat infections.