Apidine Eye Drops 5 Ml
Povidone-iodine is an antiseptic medication which is used primarily for the prevention of postoperative infections. It is also used for sterilizing surgical equipment or for surgical scrubbing. It is also used to clean wounds like minor cuts, burns, abrasions and ulcers on skin
How does the drug work ?
Povidone-iodine is an idophor which contains iodine and povidone. It has antimicrobial activity and it is used primarily for the prevention of postoperative infections. It is also used for sterilizing surgical equipment or for surgical scrubbing. Povidone-idoine as such does not have antimicrobial activity it actually acts as a reservoir for iodine molecule which has antimicrobial action. The iodine molecule easily penetrates into the cell-wall of the micro-organism and destroys the structure and functioning of bacterial cell. Povidone-iodine is used to kill wide range of germs, bacteria, viruses, fungi and simple organisms. It is the best medicine for wound healing. Povidone-iodine can be used for the wound care and dressing of burns, minor injuries, and ulcers. It is also used to irrigate the ocular surface such as cornea, conjunctiva and palpebral fornices.
What are the common side effects ?There are no major side effects reported on povidone-iodine. However, some patients may experience skin irritation.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• Make sure that the packaging and the container of the medication is intact before use. Follow the instructions given by the manufacture to open the container.
• Do not use Apidine if you are allergic to povidone or iodine. Consult with your doctor before using the medication.
• Keep the medication away from the reach of children.
• Povidone-iodine should not be applied on serious burns or deep puncture wound.
• No tests have been conducted on the affects of povidone-iodine during pregnancy and lactation so consult your doctor before using it.
• Do not apply povidone-iodine over large surface areas of your body continuously for more than a week as it may cause irritation.
• Povidone-iodine is for external use only, do not inhale or swallow the medication. Povidone-iodine can be used to treating wounds in children.
1. How should I use this medication? Follow the instructions given by the manufacture or consult your doctor before use.
2. Are there any storage precautions for povidone-iodine? Store the medication at room temperature (25°C) and away from direct heat and sunlight. Keep the drug out of reach of children.
3. What long-term effects I might experience with povidone-iodine? Povidone-iodine should not be used for more than one week unless prescribed by your doctor. Its long term use may cause severe allergic reaction characterized by severe rash, hives, difficulty in breathing and dizziness.
4. Is povidone-iodine used for dressing pressure ulcers? Yes. Povidone-iodine can be used to clean pressure ulcers as it helps to prevent bacterial infections.
5. Can I take any other medications along with povidone-iodine? You must discuss with your doctor before taking any other medications.