Aplev 5 Mg Tablet 10
Levocetrizine is a H1 receptor blocker which is most commonly used to treat seasonal allergic rhinitis or allergic fever relief. Therefore, levocitirizine is commonly called the allergy medication. Levocitrizine use also includes treatment of chronic idiopathic urticarial and perennial allergic rhinitis in adults and children of 6 years of age and older.
How does the drug work ?
Levocetrizine is a H1 receptor blocker which is most commonly used to alleviate symptoms of allergy. H1 receptors are G-protein coupled receptors that are located on the T cells, B- cells, monocytes and lymphocytes. Stimulation of H1 receptors causes inflammatory effects, vasodilation, headache, bronchoconstriction, hypotension and tachycardia. Levocetrizine is an active enantiomer of cetirizine, it blocks the H1 receptors which are commonly activated by histamine- inflammatory mediator and potent vasodilator. Therefore, levocetrizine is used to relieve the allergic symptoms such as inflammation, runny nose, sneezing, and itching in the patients with allergic rhinitis.
What are the common side effects ?The most commonly reported side effects of levocetrizine are: Drowsiness, dry mouth, nose or throat irritation, sore throat, tiredness, weakness, fever or cough, swelling in the upper and lower limbs, and nosebleed.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• The most common side effect of Aplev medication is drowsiness. So, take the medication at the bed time.
• Use the drug with caution in geriatrics as they may be more sensitive to the affects of the drug.
• Do not take Aplev in case of any hypersensitivity reactions. If there is a history of epilepsy or kidney damage talk to the doctor, because these condition may require lower Aplev dosage.
• Aplev causes drowsiness, therefore it is better to avoid the activities that involve alertness.
• Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking Aplev as it may potentiate the side effects of the drug.
• Drugs such as theophylline, tranquillizers, ritonavir, and sedatives when co-administered with Aplev may worsen the side effects. Therefore inform the doctor if any such drugs are being taken.
• Consult the doctor in case of pregnancy or breast-feeding as certain drugs may be unsafe during pregnancy and breast feeding, which would harm the fetus.
1. How should I use this medication? Levocetrizine should be taken with or without food preferably after food with a glass of water. It is recommended to take the medication in the evening as levocetrizine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. However, consult your physician before use.
2. Are there any storage precautions for levocetrizine? Store the medication at room temperature (25°C) and away from direct heat and sunlight. Keep the drug out of reach of children.
3. Is levocetirizine a steroid or narcotic? Levocetirizine is an antihistamine medication. It is not a narcotic or steroid.
4. Is levocetirizine used as a decongestant? Yes. Levocetirizine can be used as a decongestant. It evacuates sinuses, clears nasal airways and stuffy nose.
5. Can I take any other medications along with levocetirizine? You must discuss with your doctor before taking any other medications.