Aquacef 250 Mg Tablet 10
Cefuroxime is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections which can be either mild to moderate or even severe. The most common cefuroxime uses include treatment of infections of the lower respiratory tract, urinary tract, bone, skin and underlying tissue, brain, etc. It is also given to prevent infections during and after a surgery.
How does the drug work ?
Cefuroxime is an antibiotic agent which kills the bacteria by preventing the synthesis of their cell wall.
What are the common side effects ?The common cefuroxime side effects are diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and unusual or unpleasant taste in the mouth. The other less common but serious side effects include life-threatening skin diseases and inflammation of kidney cells.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• Do not take Aquacef in case of any allergic reactions to cefuroxime or any other antibiotics of the same class (i.e. cephalosporins).
• People receiving potent diuretics (i.e. water pill) may have severe problems with kidney function and should, therefore, take Aquacef with caution.
• Patients with a history of liver and kidney impairment and the patients with a history of stomach or intestinal diseases should be cautious while taking the Aquacef due to an increased risk of bleeding.
• Take the doctor’s advice before taking any over-the-counter medicine along with Aquacef medication. Be more cautious with blood thinning agents.
• Pregnant women should inform the doctor before taking Aquacef drug while breastfeeding women and must avoid it.
• Aquacef medicine should not be given to the infants below 3 months of age.
• Follow the instructions of the physician carefully and use the Aquacef drug.
1. Should I take any additional precautions for birth control while taking cefuroxime? You may use non-hormonal birth control methods such as condoms or diaphragms with spermicide. This is because cefuroxime can reduce the efficacy of hormone-based birth control pills.
2. How should I store liquid form of cefuroxime? Cefuroxime oral suspension should be stored in the refrigerator. However, do not freeze it. Discard the liquid left after 10 days of opening the container.
3. What should I do if I have an overdose with cefuroxime? In the case of overdose with cefuroxime, you may have symptoms such as seizures (i.e. fits or black-out). You need immediate medical attention so call for help.
4. Can I take medicines to control diarrhea associated with cefuroxime? Diarrhea is a common side effect of cefuroxime which indicates a new infection. Do not take anti-diarrhea medicines without a doctor’s prescription.
5. I am planning for pregnancy. Is it safe for me to use cefuroxime? Cefuroxime is not known to harm the unborn baby. However, before using cefuroxime confirm about safety issues with your doctor.