Aquiris 12.5 Mg Tablet 10
Chlorthalidone is used for the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension). It is also used in the patients with diabetes insipidus, and to prevent the formation of kidney stones in the patients with high blood calcium levels. It is also used in the fluid retention treatment by reducing the fluid buildup.
How does the drug work ?
Chlorthalidone is a diuretic and antihypertensive. It acts by increasing the sodium and potassium elimination in the urine causing excess water to get excreted from the body. Thus, it reduces the blood pressure.
What are the common side effects ?The common side effects of the drug chlorthalidone include dizziness, stomach upset, lightheadedness, nausea, increased thirst, diarrhea or constipation, and loss of appetite. Major side effects include a sore throat, fever, severe skin rash, muscle pains or cramps, extreme thirst, trouble breathing or swallowing, and unusual bleeding.
Important Information for Safe Use:
The drug should not be used if the patient is allergic to it and if the patient isn’t able to produce urine (anuria). The drug should be used with caution in the patients with liver disease, asthma, kidney disease, gout, allergies, lupus, or diabetes. Consumption of alcohol or certain medications may increase the severity of the chlorthalidone side effects such as dizziness or lightheadedness. Medication chlorthalidone makes the skin more sensitive to sunlight. Therefore the use of sunscreen or protective clothing will benefit the patient. Chlorthalidone must be taken with food. The drug might decrease the blood levels of potassium, and therefore, a diet rich in potassium supplements is recommended. In pregnant and lactating women, the drug should be used only under the medical supervision. Safe use of chlorthalidone is not yet established in children.
1. What are the storage precautions for chlorthalidone? Store the drug at room temperature (20 - 25 °C) and away from heat or moisture. Keep the drug out of reach of children.
2. What should I do in the case of an overdose? In the case of overdose, seek emergency medical care. The symptoms of overdose include fainting, extreme thirst, muscle pain, and weakness.
3. What could be the dosage of chlorthalidone for treating hypertension? The initially recommended chlorthalidone dosage for hypertension is 25 to 100mg/day. Consult your doctor before taking the drug and do not self-medicate.
4. How should I take chlorthalidone tablet? Take the medication as per the instructions provided by the physician. Usually, chlorthalidone is taken once daily after a meal (preferably after breakfast).
5. What are the severe allergic reactions of chlorthalidone? Severe allergic reactions associated with chlorthalidone include skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue, and itching or hives.