Arbitel H 80 Mg Tablet 10
Telmisartan is used to treat hypertension. It helps to prevent and control heart attack and stroke. This drug is also used to treat the signs and symptoms associated with kidney diseases. Hydrochlorothiazide is a water pill (diuretic medicine) which is used to treat fluid retention associated with conditions such as cirrhosis of the liver, congestive heart failure, or kidney disorders. It is also used in the hypertension treatment.
How does the drug work ?
Telmisartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker that interferes with the binding activity of angiotensin II to its receptor. This causes relaxation of the muscles and allows easy flow of blood in the vessels, thus, lowering the blood pressure levels. Hydrochlorothiazide prevents the human body from absorbing excess salt, thus, it prevents the associated fluid retention (edema).
What are the common side effects ?The common side effects of telmisartan are abdominal bloating, hypotension, itching, high potassium levels, fast heartbeat, change in vision, and large hives. The common side effects of hydrochlorothiazide include dizziness, headache, pain in the joint, inflammation of parts of the respiratory tract, and injection site pain.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• Arbitel H drug may cause drowsiness and lightheadedness, and dizziness and hence avoid the dug intake during bed time.
• Take plenty of water and get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
• Inform the doctor immediately if you are planning for pregnancy.
• If planning for surgery, Arbitel H medication should be discontinued a day prior to surgery.
• Avoid taking potassium supplements such as banana and broccoli while using Arbitel H.
1. I am on ramipril. Can I use telmisartan? No, telmisartan is not recommended for concomitant use with ramipril.
2. Is telmisartan safe with diuretics? No, telmisartan should not be taken while using diuretics.
3. How long should I use telmisartan? Telmisartan should be continued even after you feel well. Do not miss the dose.
4. I am suffering from angioedema while using telmisartan. Can I stop using the drug? Angioedema is the side effect of telmisartan. Do not stop the drug without consulting the doctor.
5. Can I perform vigorous exercises while taking telmisartan? No, telmisartan causes tiredness and dizziness. Follow the instructions of the health care professionals carefully while doing the workouts. Hydrochlorthiazide
1. Should I take hydrochlorothiazide even if I do not have the symptoms of hypertension? Yes. You should continue taking the hydrochlorothiazide for the entire course of prescription even if you do not have the symptoms of hypertension. This is because hypertension does not always produce symptoms.
2. What are the precautions for fluid intake during hydrochlorothiazide medication? You should take adequate fluids but should not take excess as it can worsen the situation. Ask your doctor for guidance on the type and amount of fluids to be taken.
3. What are the symptoms of overdose with hydrochlorothiazide? The symptoms of overdose with hydrochlorothiazide are muscle pain, weakness, dry mouth, and dizziness. It requires immediate medical help.
4. What is the dose of hydrochlorothiazide for hypertension management? The normal dose of hydrochlorothiazide given for the management of hypertension is initially a single dose of 25 mg, per day. Later a maintenance dose of 50 mg, as two divided doses should be taken. However, ask a doctor for the dose which is right for you.
5. What should I do if I miss a dose of hydrochlorothiazide? Take the forgotten dose soon as you remember. If it is too late, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at its scheduled time.