Arcef 250 Mg Injection 1
Cefixime is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It is used in the treatment of bacterial infections, particularly those of the ear, nose, throat (tonsillitis, pharyngitis), sinuses (sinusitis), urinary system (cystitis) etc. It is also a treatment for gonorrhea and throat infection. Cefixime is not useful for treating viral infections.
How does the drug work ?
Cefixime is a third generation cephalosporin. The bactericidal action of cefixime is because of the inhibition of the cell wall synthesis. In this process the active ingredient, cefixime binds to one of the PBPs (penicillin binding protein) and inhibits the final step that forms the cell wall. The inhibition of the formation of cell wall results in the death of the bacterial cell.
What are the common side effects ?The common side effects of cefixime antibiotic include abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, indigestion, hypertensive reactions, headache, itching, vaginal infection, vomiting and allergic skin rash. One may also experience shortness of breath and difficulty in swallowing.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• Before using any drug it is always advisable to inform the doctor about the list of medications taken. The information provided to the doctor will help him prescribe the right combination of drugs to treat the disease.
• Take the Arcef with a glass of water. The medicine works best if it is taken within 30 minutes after a meal.
• Consult a doctor in case of kidney problems or any other health related issues.
• Do not take Arcef or any penicillin drug if there is an allergic reaction like rash, swallowing difficulty, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, any breathing problem etc.
• Always consult your doctor before taking the Arcef.
• There is no information available on whether Arcef use is safe during pregnancy and lactation. Therefore, Arcef should be taken only when prescribed by the doctor.
• The use of Arcef for kids is safe but sometimes may have side effects.
• Arcef for infants is prescribed by the doctors when a child develops fever, cold or any infection like the urinary tract infection, but, the efficiency and safety are not known for children less than six months of age.
• The drug should be stored at room temperature below 25 degree Celsius.
1. How long do I need to use cefixime tablet? Usually, antibiotics are prescribed for 5 to 7 days. Please consult your doctor to check how long you need to take cefixime antibiotic.
2. Are there any cefixime side effects? Yes, cefixime causes most common side effects like gastrointestinal irritation, diarrhea, vomiting, loose stools, dyspepsia (indigestion), abdominal pain etc.
3. Is cefixime a drug to treat a sore throat? Cefixime is an antibiotic which acts against a variety of bacteria. It is used to treat acute bacterial infections such as a sore throat, difficulty in swallowing etc.
4. Can I take cefixime for kidney infection treatment? Yes, cefixime antibiotic is usually recommended by the doctor for the treatment of kidney infections but the dose and duration of the medication depend on the type of the infection, your age, and your kidney function.
5. What is the cefixime dose in treating bacterial infections? The usual dose prescribed is 1-2 tablets each day but your doctor may prescribe a lower dose in case of any kidney problems. It is always better to consult your doctor before taking any medication.