Lorazepam belongs to the class benzodiazepines. Lorazepam USES include insomnia, sleep disturbances, and anxiety. Drug lorazepam is used to calm down the patients before surgery.
How does the drug work?
Lorazepam binds to the allosteric site of GABA-A receptors, which are pentameric ionotropic receptors in central nervous system. The binding to GABA receptors opens the chloride channel and allows influx of chloride in the neurons, causing the calming effect.
What are the common side effect?
Lorazepam side effects include severe drowsiness, unusual changes in mood, hallucinations, confusion, loss of coordination, vision problems, an urge to urinate, change in the appetite, and stomach upset.
• Avoid the drug lorazepam in pregnancy as it may cause congenital abnormalities.
• Do not use Ativan tablet there is a medical history of myasthenia gravis (neuromuscular disorder) or glaucoma.
• Do not share medication Ativan with anyone especially with the persons who have a history of drug addiction or drug abuse.
• Alcohol may potentiate lorazepam side effects. Therefore, avoid alcohol while taking lorazepam.
• Patients with a history of epilepsy should use drug Ativan with caution, as it may cause severe convulsions. However, discuss with the doctor before taking the medicine.
• Accidental falls are common in elders who take Ativan tablet.
• Do not discontinue the Ativan tablets abruptly as it may cause unpleasant symptoms such as convulsions. Ask the doctor how to safely withdraw the medication.
1. I am allergic to valium (allergic medicine), is drug Ativan safe for me? No, you should not use drug Ativan if you are allergic to valium and other similar medications.
2. What is the safe dose of medication lorazepam? Commonly recommended dosage is 2 – 4mg or as prescribed. Overdose may lead to coma. Prolonged usemay also cause addiction to the drug.
3. I am 15 years old. Can I use drug lorazepam for sleeplessness? No, lorazepam is not recommended for anyone who is younger than 18 years.
4. What are the other forms of drug lorazepam? Medication lorazepam is available as oral solutions, injectables apart from tablet form.
5. For how long can I use the drug Ativan? The patient should not use the drug for more than four weeks; as it may cause drug addiction.