Augtum 4000/500 Mg Injection 1
Piperacillin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections of ear, nose, throat (tonsillitis, pharyngitis), sinuses (sinusitis), urinary system (cystitis).
How does the drug work ?
Piperacillin is a beta-lactam antibiotic. The bactericidal action of piperacillin is because of the inhibition of the cell wall synthesis. It binds to one of the PBPs (penicillin binding protein) and inhibits the final step that forms the cell wall. The inhibition of the formation of cell wall results in the death of the bacterial cell.
What are the common side effects ?The common side effects of piperacillin antibiotic include abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, indigestion, hypertensive reactions, headache, itching, vaginal infection, vomiting, allergic skin rash, and difficulty in swallowing.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• Take Augtum antibiotic with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the tablet. The medicine works best if it is taken within 30 minutes after the meal.
• Patients with allergic reactions to any of the penicillin antibiotics should avoid the use of Augtum drug.
• Consult a doctor before using Augtum drug in case of kidney problems or liver problems.
• Do not take Augtum dose or any penicillin drug if there is an allergic reaction like rash, swallowing difficulty, and swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, and any breathing problems.
• Pregnant and breastfeeding women should talk to the doctor before taking Augtum medication.
• The use of Augtum medicine for children is safe but sometimes may have side effects.
• Augtum drug can be prescribed for infants to treat fever, cold or any infection such as urinary tract infection only if prescribed by the doctor.
1. I am suffering from bowel inflammation. Can I take piperacillin? No, piperacillin may intensify bowel inflammation.
2. I am on dialysis. Can I use piperacillin for bacterial infection? No, piperacillin is contraindicated during dialysis.
3. What are the dietary restrictions I need to follow while taking piperacillin? Patients who are on a salt-restricted diet should not take piperacillin drug.
4. How to store piperacillin medication? Keep piperacillin in a cool and dry place. Do not freeze. If you are using piperacillin injection keep needles and syringes away from children. Discard the vial if there are any visibly opaque particles.
5. Can I take birth control pills while on piperacillin? No, birth control pills may not work effectively if taken along with piperacillin. It is suggested to use other safety precautions.