Avacan M 80/250 Mg Tablet 10
Drotaverin: Drotaverine is used for cervical dilation in women during childbirth. It also used to relieve pain and dysfunction caused by smooth muscle spasm. Mefenamic acid: Mefenamic acid is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) which helps to relieve pain, inflammation and reduces the elevated body temperature. It is used to treat lower back pain, muscle pain, headache, toothaches, and to relieve painful menstruation.
How does the drug work ?
Drotaverin: Drotaverine is an antispasmodic drug. It is a selective inhibitor phosphodiesterase
4. Blocking of PDE4 causes accumulation of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) which dilates blood vessels and relaxes smooth muscles of gut. Mefenamic acid: Mefenamic acid works by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins. Thus, the prostaglandin effects such as sensitization of the spinal nerves to the painful stimuli, inflammation associated with vasodilation, and elevation of body temperature by the thyroid gland are not produced.
What are the common side effects ?Drotaverin: The most common reported side effects are dizziness, low blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, and headache. Mefenamic acid: The most frequently experienced side effects with mefenamic acid are nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, bloating, bleeding, blurred vision, heartburn, ulcers (stomach or intestine), anemia, abnormal kidney function, edema, an increase in liver enzymes, increased bleeding time, itching, rashes, ringing sensation in the ear.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• Avoid using Avacan M medicine if allergic to any of the ingredients in it.
• Avacan M is recommended 20 min before meals.
• Stop using Avacan M medicine and immediately consult the doctor if any allergic symptoms are developed.
• Do not drive or operate heavy machines while using Avacan M medicine as the drug causes dizziness and drowsiness.
• Take medical consultation before using Avacan M medicine during pregnancy or breast feeding.
• If there is a kidney or liver problem consult the doctor for dose adjustment.
1. How should I take drotaverine? Drotaverine can be taken with or without food with a glass full of water.
2. When can I stop taking drotaverine medication? Drotaverine is a full course of treatment. Patients should not stop in the middle of the treatment, the doctor will suggest you the safe withdrawal of the drug.
3. How to store drotaverine drug? Drotaverine should be stored in a cool place at room temperature. Keep out of the reach of children.
4. What are the conditions in which I should avoid taking drotaverine? Patients should avoid drotaverine in conditions such as renal, hepatic, or cardiac dysfunction.
5. Which drugs should be avoided while using drotaverine? Concurrent use of analgesics, antimuscarinics, or benzodiazepines should be avoided while using the drotaverine. Mefenamic acid:
1. Can I drive after taking the drug? The drug may occasionally cause side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, and visual disturbances. Therefore, it is advisable not to drive.
2. What should I do in the case of overdosage? You must immediately contact for a doctor’s advice because an overdose of mefenamic acid can increase your risk of side effects.
3. What to do if I miss a dose? If it is too late, then leave the missed dose and take the next dose as per the schedule.
4. Can I take mefenamic acid if I am planning for pregnancy? You must inform your doctor before taking the drug if you are planning to become pregnant.
5. Can I use the drug in the management of menstrual cramps? Yes. You can use the drug in the treatment of pain during periods associated with cramps.