Azerva E Tablet 10
Atorvastatin Atorvastatin uses include regulation of the fat levels in the body when the diet and lifestyle changes are not effective. It lowers the cholesterol levels and is useful for patients with a high risk of heart diseases. Ezetimibe Ezetimibe is used to treat increased cholesterol levels in the blood (hypercholesterolemia). It is given along with low cholesterol diet and exercises to reduce the cholesterol levels in the body.
Mode of drug action :
Atorvastatin Atorvastatin acts by inhibiting an enzyme called HMG-CoA reductase which is involved in the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver. It also increases the breakdown of the cholesterol by enhancing its uptake by the liver cells. Ezetimibe Ezetimibe belongs to the class of lipid-lowering compounds that act on the small intestine. Ezetimibe inhibits the absorption of cholesterol. This, in turn, decreases the delivery of intestinal cholesterol to the liver.
What are the common side effects?
Atorvastatin The most commonly experienced atorvastatin side effects are diarrhea, nausea, indigestion, pain in the extremities, urinary tract infections, inflammation of the nasal passages, pain in the throat, nose bleed, joint pain, muscle pain and back pain, liver function abnormalities, and sleep disorders. The other side effects such as depression, pancreatitis, anaphylactic reactions, fatigue, etc. may occur at a lower frequency. Ezetimibe The common side effects of ezetimibe are neck pain, fatigue, weakness, muscle pain, back pain, a decrease in weight, increased liver enzyme, headache, heartburn, tenderness, itching, dry mouth, abdominal bloating, dizziness, diarrhea, and sleep disorder.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Breast feeding: Unsafe Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Safe under medical guidance Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Avoid taking Azerva E with grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
• Limit the intake of fat containing foods while taking Azerva E medication.
• Consult the immediately, if any side effects of Azerva E such as cough, abdominal bloating, and pain in the arm and legs are experienced.
• Notify the doctor before taking medication such as warfarin and cyclosporine along with the drug Azerva E.
• If there is a history of liver disease, inform the doctor before taking the medicine Azerva E.
• Avoid alcohol while taking tab Azerva E.
• Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult the doctor before taking Azerva E tablets.
What else should I know?
1. Is breast enlargement in men a side effect of atorvastatin? Breast enlargement in men also called, gynecomastia is a very rare side effect of atorvastatin.
2. Can I use atorvastatin for coronary heart disease prevention? Atorvastatin is a treatment to lower bad cholesterol. Therefore, you can use this medicine for heart disease prevention only with a doctor’s advice.
3. Can atorvastatin reduce my risk of heart attack? Yes. Atorvastatin is routinely prescribed as a part of treatment to reduce heart attack risk.
4. What is the initial atorvastatin dose for children aged above 10 years? The starting dose of atorvastatin for children above 10 years is usually 10 mg, once daily. However, the dosage of the drug depends on the severity of the condition which is decided by the physician.
5. What is the maximum dose in the safe use of atorvastatin in children? The maximum safe dose of atorvastatin used for children is usually 20 mg per day. Ezetimibe
1. Can I take ezetimibe with other statin medication? Yes, ezetimibe can be taken along other statin medications.
2. I am on gemfibrozil. Can I take ezetimibe drug? No, concomitant use of gemfibrozil and ezetimibe may cause drug-drug interactions.
3. What precautions do I need to take while taking an ezetimibe drug? You may need to have frequent blood tests done; regular monitoring of the blood cholesterol levels is necessary.
4. What should I avoid while taking ezetimibe tablet? Avoid eating foods that are high in fats and cholesterol.
5. Is ezetimibe safe for children? Consult the doctor for safe use of ezetimibe in children.