Azunate 100 Mg Tablet 6
Artesunate is used to treat symptoms of falciparum malaria caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite, especially in qunidine resistant patients.
How does the drug work ?
Artesunate is an anti malarial agent. It is a prodrug that is converted into its active form dihydrotemisinin. It inhibits the protein synthesis of malaria cell by alkylation, as a result glutathione in the parasite is reduces which damages the cell.
What are the common side effects ?The common side effects of artesunate are cough, dizziness, ECG changes, fever, headache, injection site pain, itching, and upper respiratory tract infection, loss of appetite, nausea, weakness, and diarrhea.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• The drug can be taken with or without food or as suggested by the doctor.
• Do not use Azunate medicine if any allergic response was seen in the past with Leonate or other related drugs.
• Leonate drug can be also used for off-label symptoms. Talk to the doctor to know the information about the safe use of the Leonate.
• Do not use Leonate medicine in conditions such as ECG abnormalities, and cardiac dysfunction. In these conditions, the side effects overweigh benefits of Leonate.
• Avoid concomitant use of Leonate drug with antipsychotics or antiarrhythmics, as these may cause prolongation of QT intervals (heart electrical cycle).
• Do not stop the Leonate medicine abruptly. Use full course of treatment even after feeling better, because there is a chance of rebound effects.
1. I have ECG abnormalities. Is artesunate drug safe for me? No, patients with ECG abnormalities should not take artesunate for malaria.
2. What is the recommended dose for artesunate drug? The artesunate dose for adults is 150mg once a day for three consecutive days.
3. Can quinine and artesunate be used together to treat malaria? Yes, generally artesunate is given along with quinine drugs to treat malaria and other kinds of fever.
4. How often should I have blood tests while using artesunate drug? Patients should have blood test once a week for a month for presence of malaria parasites.
5. I am suffering from pneumonia and malaria. Can I take artesunate for malaria fever? No, do not take the drug for pneumonia as it may increase the side effects of artesunate.