Bactomet 300/200 Mg Suspension 30 Ml
Metronidazole is used to treat bacterial and parasitic infections of the vagina, respiratory tract, joints, stomach, and skin. It also used to treat symptoms of rosacea such as enlarged facial blood vessels, papules, pustules, and swelling. Nalidixic Acid is a quinolone group of antibiotic used for the treatment of urinary tract infections. It is also recommended to treat infections of prostate, stomach, intestine, and genital tract.
How does the drug work?
Metronidazole belongs to the class nitroimidazole. Metronidazole is a prodrug which reduces from its unionized form to the ionized active form. This reduced metronidazole covalently binds to the DNA of the bacterial cells and disrupts its helical structure, which in turn inhibits bacterial nucleic acid synthesis and kills the bacterial cell. The bacterial action of nalidixic Acid is by the inhibition of enzymes which are responsible for DNA replication, repair, and recombination, which stops the reproduction of the bacterial cell and reduces the infection.
What are the common side effect?
The common reported side effects of metronidazole are agitation, back pain, blindness, blurred vision, confusion, convulsions, depression, skin redness, skin irritation, hives, and itching. The common side effects of nalidixic Acid are mild diarrhea, loss of consciousness, loss of appetite, dizziness, skin rashes, fever, feeling sad or empty.
• Bactomet tablet can be taken with or without food. But it must be avoided to take tab Bactomet along with grapefruit or grapefruit juice.
• Bactomet side effects and dosage may vary with individuals. Doctor will prescribe Bactomet dosage depending upon the patient’s health condition.
• Mild diarrhea is common with Bactomet usage. However, it is not a serious condition. In case of severe diarrhea, report to the doctor immediately.
• Consult your doctor before using Bactomet for UTI, because if you are allergic to quinolone drugs, the infection may get severe and cause serious health conditions.
• Use complete course of treatment as there is a chance of relapse of the infection.
• Do not skip Bactomet dose as skipping of doses may increase the risk of further infection.
• Bactomet drug can pass into the breast milk, so breastfeeding women should avoid taking the drug.
• Avoid direct contact of Bactomet medication with eyes. In the case of accidental contact, wash the eyes with water and seek immediate medical attention.
• Patients allergic to Bactomet medicine or any of its ingredients should avoid using the ointment.
1. Is metronidazole effective for yeast infections? No, metronidazole treats only bacterial and parasitic infections.
2. Does metronidazole treat common cold and flu? No, metronidazole does not treat cold and flu.
3. Can I consume alcohol while on metronidazole? No, avoid consuming alcohol at least up to 3 days after taking metronidazole.
4. I am experiencing fast heartbeats while taking metronidazole tablet. Can I stop using it? Fast and irregular heartbeats are common side effects of metronidazole. Report it to the doctor if the side effects worsen.
5. I have had epilepsy. Can I take metronidazole tablet? Metronidazole is used with caution in the patients with epilepsy. However, consult the doctor to know the safe use of drug.
1. Is nalidixic Acid safe during pregnancy? It is unsafe during pregnancy, as it may harm the fetus.
2. I am on NSAID. Can I take nalidixic Acid medication? Taking nalidixic Acid while you are on NSAID may increase the risk of seizures affecting the CNS.
3. Does nalidixic Acid and ciprofloxacin show same effects? They both belong to same class of quinolones, but nalidixic Acid acts better than ciprofloxacin.
4. Can I use nalidixic Acid along with multivitamins? No, use of multivitamin tablet along with nalidixic Acid reduces the activity of nalidixic Acid.
5. What are the storage conditions of nalidixic Acid? Nalidixic Acid is stored below 15- 300°C. Do not refrigerate.