Benadryl Cough Syrup 150 ML
Uses :Ammonium chloride Ammonium chloride is used for treating hypochloremic states and metabolic alkalosis. Sodium citrate Sodium citrate is a sodium acid salt of citric acid used for the treatment of gout, gastric problems, and acidity. Diphenhydramine Diphenhydramine is used in relieving the symptoms of allergy such as runny nose, itching of the nose and throat, watery eyes, hay fever, and sneezing. It is also used for motion sickness.
Mode of drug action
Ammonium chloride Ammonium chloride present in syrup Grilinctus acts as an expectorant. It helps to cough out the mucus from the lungs and helps in relieving the symptoms of cough. Sodium citrate Sodium citrate belongs to a class of drugs called urinary alkalinizers. It neutralizes the excess production of acid from the urine and blood. Diphenhydramine Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine and it belongs to a class of drugs known as H1 receptor antagonists. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which results in reducing the symptoms of watery eyes, running nose etc.
What are the common side effects?
Ammonium chloride The common side effects of ammonium chloride include facial swelling, shortness of breath, difficulty in swallowing, allergic reaction, sickness, nausea, stomach pain, and throat disorder. Sodium citrate The common side effects of sodium citrate are diarrhea, gastrointestinal ulceration, shortness of breath, anxiety, mood swings, fatigue, and metabolic alkalosis. Diphenhydramine common side effects of diphenhydramine are nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, dizziness, dry mouth, thickened respiratory tract secretions, nightmare and difficulty in urination.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Avoid using Benadryl cough medicine, if allergic to Uniril medicine or any of the ingredients in it.
• Avoid drinking alcohol when using Benadryl cough medicine.
• If dizziness is experienced after using Benadryl cough medicine, do not drive or operate heavy machinery.
• Avoid using Benadryl cough medicine in patients suffering from inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, heart and kidney diseases, and Addison's disease.
• Benadryl cough medicine is recommended after meals.
• Take medical consultation before using Benadryl cough medicine during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• Avoid using Benadryl cough medicine in children below 3 years of age.
• Use Benadryl cough medicine only under medical prescription.
What else should I know?
1. Is ammonium chloride safe when taken by pregnant or breastfeeding women? There is no evidence showing the safety of ammonium chloride in pregnant and breastfeeding women. However, consult your doctor before taking any medications during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
2. Is ammonium chloride safe in children? Ammonium chloride is usually available along with other expectorants and cough suppressant which are not safe in children below 4 years. Consult your doctor before giving any medication to your child.
3. Does ammonium chloride has any other uses? Yes, ammonium chloride is used to treat patients with hypochloremia and metabolic alkalosis.
4. What if I have missed a dose of ammonium chloride? Cough medicine is taken only as needed, you may not be on a dosing schedule.
5. What if I have overdosed ammonium chloride? Allergic reactions, breathing problems and stomach upset can worsen in case of overdose. Consult your doctor immediately. Sodium citrate
1. Is it safe to use sodium Citrate during pregnancy? No, it is not safe to use sodium Citrate during pregnancy as it may affect the fetus. However, please consult your doctor.
2. What should I do if I miss a dose? If you forget to take the medication at the usual time, you must take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for the next dose, you must skip the missed dose. Do not take double dose.
3. Is it safe to use sodium Citrate during lactation? The interaction of sodium Citrate during lactation is not known. Please consult your doctor.
4. How should I take sodium Citrate syrup? It is advised to take sodium Citrate syrup after meals with plenty of water to avoid an upset stomach.
5. I have a medical history of congestive heart failure. Can I take sodium Citrate? No, patients with a history of congestive heart failure, heart disease or severe kidney problems should not take sodium Citrate. Diphenhydramine
1. Is it better to take diphenhydramine with or without food or empty stomach? Patients can take diphenhydramine with or without food or empty stomach. However, please consult your doctor.
2. Is diphenhydramine a sedative? It is not used as a sedative drug, though it can produce effects such as sleep and drowsiness.
3. Does diphenhydramine cause excitation? Diphenhydramine may cause excitation but it may occasionally cause unexpected excitation, increased agitation or hallucinations.
4. Is diphenhydramine syrup addictive? Prolonged use of diphenhydramine may develop dependence and addiction.
5. Is it safe to use diphenhydramine during pregnancy? No, it is not safe to use diphenhydramine during pregnancy as it may affect the fetus. However, please consult your doctor.