Benakof 500/5/2 Mg Liquid 100 Ml
Diphenhydramine is used in relieving the symptoms of allergy such as runny nose, itching of the nose and throat, watery eyes, hay fever, and sneezing. It is also used for motion sickness. Ammonium chloride is used to relieve symptoms of cough. Terpin Hydrate is used to relieve chest congestion caused by cold, infections (bronchitis), or allergies. Sodium citrate is a sodium acid salt of citric acid used for the treatment of gout, gastric problems, and acidity.
How does the drug work?
Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine and it belongs to a class of drugs known as H1 receptor antagonists. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which results in reducing the symptoms of watery eyes, running nose etc. Ammonium chloride present in syrup Grilinctus acts as an expectorant. It helps to cough out the mucus from the lungs and helps in relieving the symptoms of cough. Terpin Hydrate belongs to a class of drugs called expectorants. It acts by thinning the mucus in the air passages thereby making easy to cough up the mucus and clear the airways. Sodium citrate belongs to a class of drugs called urinary alkalinizers. It neutralizes the excess production of acid from the urine and blood.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of diphenhydramine are nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, dizziness, dry mouth, thickened respiratory tract secretions, nightmare and difficulty in urination. The common side effects of ammonium chloride include facial swelling, shortness of breath, difficulty in swallowing, allergic reaction, sickness, nausea, stomach pain, and throat disorder. The common side effects of terpin hydrate include nausea and vomiting, itchy rash, hypersensitivity reaction, stomach pain, and diarrhea. The common side effects of sodium citrate are diarrhea, gastrointestinal ulceration, shortness of breath, anxiety, mood swings, fatigue, and metabolic alkalosis.
• Individuals suffering from kidney disorders such as decreased output of urine, high levels of sodium in the blood etc should inform the doctor before taking Benakof for cough.
• Avoid consuming alcohol as it may worsen the Benakof side effects.
• Patients who are allergic to Benakof or its ingredients should not use Benakof syrup.
• Inform the doctor about the previous medical history and the present medications taken. Administer the Benakof dosage as per the doctor’s prescription.
• Inform the doctor in case of breathing problems, high blood pressure, swollen ankles or irregular heart beat after taking Benakof drug.
• Do not give Benakof cough syrup to a child younger than 4 years old.
• It is unsafe to use Benakof medicine for dry cough during pregnancy, as it may harm the fetus.
• Consult a doctor before using the cough syrup in case of prolonged cough or asthma.
1. Is it better to take diphenhydramine with or without food or empty stomach? Patients can take diphenhydramine with or without food or empty stomach. However, please consult your doctor.
2. Is diphenhydramine a sedative? It is not used as a sedative drug, though it can produce effects such as sleep and drowsiness.
3. Does diphenhydramine cause excitation? Diphenhydramine may cause excitation but it may occasionally cause unexpected excitation, increased agitation or hallucinations.
4. Is diphenhydramine syrup addictive? Prolonged use of diphenhydramine may develop dependence and addiction.
5. Is it safe to use diphenhydramine during pregnancy? No, it is not safe to use diphenhydramine during pregnancy as it may affect the fetus. However, please consult your doctor.
1. Is ammonium chloride safe when taken by pregnant or breastfeeding women? There is no evidence showing the safety of ammonium chloride in pregnant and breastfeeding women. However, consult your doctor before taking any medications during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
2. Is ammonium chloride safe in children? Ammonium chloride is usually available along with other expectorants and cough suppressant which are not safe in children below 4 years. Consult your doctor before giving any medication to your child.
3. Does ammonium chloride has any other USES? Yes, ammonium chloride is used to treat patients with hypochloremia and metabolic alkalosis.
4. What if I have missed a dose of ammonium chloride? Cough medicine is taken only as needed, you may not be on a dosing schedule.
5. What if I have overdosed ammonium chloride? Allergic reactions, breathing problems and stomach upset can worsen in case of overdose. Consult your doctor immediately.
1. How long can I take terpin hydrate? Use terpin hydrate not more than 7 days. Consult your doctor in case of prolonged cough.
2. Is it safe to take terpin hydrate if I have high blood pressure? No. terpin hydrate should not be taken by patients with high blood pressure.
3. What precautions should I take while using terpin hydrate? The medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Avoid actions which require alertness such as driving and operating heavy machinery.
4. Is it safe to take terpin hydrate with over-the-counter medications? Yes, terpin hydrate does not cause any interactions with over-the-counter medications.
5. What should I do in case of an overdose? Overdose may result in dizziness or headache, rash, nausea, vomiting, or stomach upset. Seek emergency medical care.
1. Is it safe to use sodium Citrate during pregnancy? No, it is not safe to use sodium Citrate during pregnancy as it may affect the fetus. However, please consult your doctor.
2. What should I do if I miss a dose? If you forget to take the medication at the usual time, you must take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for the next dose, you must skip the missed dose. Do not take double dose.
3. Is it safe to use sodium Citrate during lactation? The interaction of sodium Citrate during lactation is not known. Please consult your doctor.
4. How should I take sodium Citrate syrup? It is advised to take sodium Citrate syrup after meals with plenty of water to avoid an upset stomach.
5. I have a medical history of congestive heart failure. Can I take sodium Citrate? No, patients with a history of congestive heart failure, heart disease or severe kidney problems should not take sodium Citrate.