Betnovate N 0.1/0.5 % Ointment 15 Gm
Betamethasone cream is used to reduce swelling, irritation, redness and itchiness of skin problems such as eczema, atopic dermatitis, and psoriasis of scalp, hands and feet. It is also used to treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, severe asthma, certain blood disorders, and eye conditions. Neomycin is used as an antibiotic for various bacterial skin infections, caused due to minor cuts, scrapes or burns.
How does the drug work?
Betamethasone is a corticosteroid and is an active ingredient of Betnovate-N cream. It works by modifying the body’s immune response to various conditions and thereby reduces the inflammation on the skin. Therefore, this drug is used to treat skin problems and various allergic conditions. Betnovate skin cream contains an active ingredient called neomycin. Neomycin disturbs the production of certain bacterial proteins which are essential for their survival. As this drug kills the bacteria it is used in the treatment of skin problems due to bacterial infections.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of Betnovate-N include rash, inflammation, burning sensation, wheezing, raised bumps with pus, pain, irritation or itching. In rare conditions, stretch marks may also develop. The most common side effects of neomycin include sensitization or allergic reactions which may cause skin redness, swelling or rash, irritation, burning. Hearing difficulty and decreased urination are also often observed with neomycin.
• Avoid Betnovate-N cream for fairness if you are allergic to betamethasone or neomycin.
• Consult a dermatologist before using Betnovate-N for pimples.
• Do not apply the cream on broken skin or within the skin folds.
• Be very careful while applying the cream near the eyes or eye lids.
• Consult a doctor before using Betnovate-N cream for children.
• Inform the doctor before using the cream in case of pregnancy, planning to become pregnant or during breastfeeding.
• Avoid usage of large amount of cream continuously on large areas of the body as it may affect the hormonal balance.
• Avoid usage of Betnovate-N cream for more than 2 weeks
• Inform the doctor in case of history of diabetes or any type of skin infections.
1. Is betamethasone cream available over the counter (OTC) product? Betamethasone is not available as OTC product. You doctor should prescribe this medicine.
2. Can I use Betnovate-N for face? Betnovate-N which contains betamethasone is a very strong steroid and can damage the sensitive facial skin so, do not use it continuously for more than 5 days. However, consult your doctor before using it as usage of cream on your face also depends on the skin conditions.
3. Is betamethasone cream used for acne/ringworm? No, it can be used in conditions like eczema, atopic dermatitis and psoriasis.
4. Is betamethasone preferred for treating retention edema? No, it cannot be used in retention edema as it increases the fluid and salt retention it aggravates the edema problem.
5. Does betamethasone cause any other side effects? Yes, it caUSES other side effects like tingling sensation, dry skin, hair follicle inflammation and skin lightening. Neomycin
1. Are there any other side effects of neomycin? Yes, there are other side effects like drooping eyelids, increased production of liver enzyme, skin redness, numbness, ear damage etc.
2. Does neomycin cause ringing in ears? Yes, neomycin caUSES ringing in ears (tinnitus) which is one of the symptoms of ear damage.
3. Can I use Betnovate-N as fairness cream? Betnovate-N is a steroid cream which also contains neomycin, an antibiotic. Do not use this cream for face unless advised by the physician as it may damage the skin.
4. Can I use neomycin for the treatment of itchy skin rash? Neomycin is used for treating skin problems but consult your doctor before using the cream.
5. What should I do if I forget a dose? As soon as you remember, apply the missed dose. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with regular dosing. Avoid applying double dose to make up for a missed dose.