Briogut R Sachet
Racecadotril is used in the management of acute diarrhea of unknown cause in children aged above 3months. Saccharomyces boulardii is yeast type of fungus. It is used for treating diarrhea, rotaviral infection in children, and traveler’s diarrhea. It is also used for Irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel syndrome, and Crohn's disease. Saccharomyces boulardii is the most tolerated by children; it is used in children who are lactose intolerant.
How does the drug work?
Racecadotril produces its effect by reducing the water and electrolytes secreted into the gut. This reduces the stool volume and its liquidity. Thus, it helps in improving the symptoms of diarrhea. Saccharomyces boulardii is a probiotic. It is a friendly bacteria that helps to fight disease causing organism in the gut. It secretes 54-kDa protease, which inhibits binding to the receptors of brush borders. This reduces enterotoxigenic and cytotoxic effects.
What are the common side effect?
The side effects commonly seen with racecadotril are constipation, stomach and intestinal discomfort, rashes, itching and depression. The common side effects of Saccharomyces boulardii are gas, bloating, or constipation.
• Do not take Briogut-R if there was a previous experience of an allergic reaction to this compound.
• Children below 3 months need a cautious use of the medicine Briogut-R.
• If blood or pus is present in the stools, then this type of diarrhea is due to bacterial infection and may need a different treatment. So, ask the doctor before giving Briogut-R.
• Children with liver or kidney problems, diabetes (type 1), uncontrolled vomiting, and prolonged diarrhea should be given the Briogut-R medicine by following additional precautions.
• Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take Briogut-R for acute diarrhea.
1. What other precautions should I take for an early relief of diarrhea while giving racecadotril to my child? You must give a large amount of liquids and maintain proper dietary measures along with this medication. Together, these steps will help improve your child’s condition.
2. How to give racecadotril medicine? AD 10 mg sachet contains granules of racecadotril which have to be mixed with food or water and should be given immediately to the child.
3. What is the dose of racecadotril for my child? The dose is based on the age and weight of your child. So, ask your doctor for the accurate dosage instructions.
4. How long should I give racecadotril to my child? The treatment duration varies from child to child. So, ask your doctor. Racecadotril should not be given for more than 7 days.
5. What if I give more than the required dose of racecadotril? Immediately contact your doctor in a case you give more than the required dose of racecadotril. Saccharomyces boulardii
1. Can I take antibiotics while using saccharomyces boulardii? Give a gap of at least 2 hours between the two medicines. This is because taking them together can decrease the effectiveness of saccharomyces boulardii.
2. Which medications that may interact with saccharomyces boulardii? Do not take the drugs such as clotrimazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, or voriconazole while using saccharomyces boulardii medicine.
3. Is saccharomyces boulardii given for short bowel syndrome? Yes, saccharomyces boulardii can treat short bowel syndrome.
4. How should I store saccharomyces boulardii? Store saccharomyces boulardii in a refrigerator but do not freeze it.
5. Can I use saccharomyces boulardii during pregnancy? Pregnant women should not use saccharomyces boulardii without doctor advice.