Calmtra 10 Mg Tablet 10
Nitrazepam is used in the short-term treatment of anxiety, insomnia and sleep disturbances caused due to anxiety.
How does the drug work?
Nitrazepam is a hypnotic drug that belongs to a group called benzodiazepines. It acts by enhancing the action of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA); a signaling chemical in the brain. The increased activity of GABA helps to calm the excessive electrical nerve activity that is responsible for anxiety.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of nitrazepam include severe drowsiness, unusual changes in mood, hallucinations, confusion, loss of coordination, vision problems, an urge to urinate, change in the appetite, and stomach upset.
• Avoid Calmtra tablets if pregnant, as it may cause congenital abnormalities.
• Do not use Calmtra tablet if suffering from myasthenia gravis (neuromuscular disorder) or glaucoma.
• Do not share Calmtra medication with anyone especially with the persons who have a history of drug addiction or drug abuse.
• Alcohol may intensify Calmtra side effects. Therefore, avoid alcohol while the use of Calmtra drug.
• Patients with a history of epilepsy should use drug Calmtra with caution, as it may cause severe convulsions. However, discuss with the doctor before taking the medicine.
• Accidental falls are common in elders who take Calmtra medication.
• Do not discontinue the Calmtra tablets abruptly as it may cause unpleasant symptoms such as convulsions. Ask the doctor how to safely withdraw the medication.
1. Is nitrazepam a habit forming drug? Yes. People are known to develop a dependence on nitrazepam and so it should be withdrawn gradually.
2. How should I take nitrazepam medicine? Nitrazepam should be taken at night after which you should have an uninterrupted sleep for about 7-8 hours. This is due to the possibility of forgetfulness for some time with the drug.
3. Can I drive after taking nitrazepam tablets? Do not drive after taking nitrazepam because of the chances of reduced alertness, blurred vision, and dizziness with the drug.
4. What is the dose of nitrazepam drug for a sleeping problem? The usual dose of nitrazepam for treating sleep disorders is around 10-30 mg, to be taken before bedtime.
5. How long is the treatment with nitrazepam? The treatment lasts for about 4 weeks and beyond this period the tablets are not very effective.