Carnimac 500 MG Tablet 10
Levocarnitine is used to treat carnitine deficiency. Levocarnitine is given as a dietary supplement in patients with renal disease who are on dialysis and in patients taking medications such as valproic acid and zidovudine. It is used for the treatment of leg pain occurring due to carnitine deficiency, pregnancy, and high blood pressure. This drug is also used to treat muscle cramps and improve skeletal muscle function.
Mode of drug action :
Levocarnitine benefits in utilizing fats and producing energy. Only the L-isomer of carnitine can affect fat metabolism. Levocarnitine is an amino acid derivative and allows long-chain fatty acids into mitochondria of the cells, for the breakdown, resulting in energy production.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of levocarnitine include diarrhea, bad breath, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, unusual body odor, high blood pressure, and rapid heart rate.
Pregnancy: Safe under medical guidance Breast feeding: Safe under medical guidance Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Be cautious while taking Carnimac drug while suffering from conditions such as hypertension and liver diseases.
• Closely monitor the blood sugar levels while taking Carnimac medication.
• Consult a doctor before taking the drug Carnimac.
• Consult a doctor before taking Carnimac drug during pregnancy and breast feeding.
What else should I know?
1. I am using aspirin for heart disease. Can I take levocarnitine? Blood thinners such as aspirin may interact with levocarnitine. So, you should discuss with your doctor before taking levocarnitine.
2. Is levocarnitine an over-the-counter drug? No, levocarnitine is a prescription drug.
3. Is levocarnitine a vitamin supplement? No, levocarnitine is an amino acid derivative used as a dietary supplement.
4. Does levocarnitine aid in weight loss? Levocarnitine helps in fat metabolism for energy production. It may aid in weight loss, but there is no evidence of scientific data. So, discuss with your doctor about the possible effects of levocarnitine.
5. How to take levocarnitine? Take levocarnitine with a glass of water, with or without food (preferable to take with food to prevent stomach irritation). Take the medication at regular intervals as directed by your doctor. Don’t stop the medication without the doctor’s advice.