Citimac 500 MG Tablet 10
Citicoline is used in the treatment of memory problems in elderly people. It helps to overcome the problems of memory loss in people aged above 50 and below 85 years. Thus, it is given for patients with Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson’s disease, and attention deficit-hyperactive disorder (ADHD). Citicoline use also helps in complete recovery after an ischemic stroke.
Mode of drug action :
Citicoline action mainly includes increasing the synthesis of chemical compounds called phosphatidylcholine and acetylcholine which are required for repairing and regenerating the damaged neural membrane. It also increases the blood flow to the brain, thereby, improving the brain function.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of citicoline include sleeplessness, headache, low or high blood pressure, nausea, diarrhea, blurred vision and chest pain. These are experienced only by some patients taking citicoline.
Pregnancy: Safe under medical guidance Breast Feeding: Safe under medical guidance Kidney dysfunction: Unsafe
Special precautions for safe use
• Do not take Citimac if a previous allergic reaction has been experienced with any of its ingredients.
• People with serious kidney problems, brain hemorrhage (excessive bleeding), and a condition called Huntington‘s Disease should not use Citimac medicine.
• In case of minor kidney problems and bleeding disorders, cautious use of Citimac is necessary. People with kidney disease need a dose adjustment.
• If any other drugs such as blood-thinning agents, thyroid dugs, etc. are to be taken, while using Citimac medication, inform a doctor. This is to avoid unwanted interactions between the drugs.
• Do not carry out activities, which need high attention. There is a chance of dizziness, one of the side effects of Citimac drug, which can alter the concentration.
• To be on safe side, pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take Citimac.
• Take the exact Citimac dosage as prescribed by the doctor. Exceeding the dose can lead to unwanted effects and increase the risk of Citimac side effects.
• Read the instructions given on the label regarding Citimac use and side effects to ensure safety with the drug use.
What else should I know?
1. In how many days does a person recover from an ischemic stroke with citicoline? Usually, citicoline given within 12 hours after the stroke and daily once thereafter helps in recovery within 7 days.
2. What is the oral dose of citicoline for stroke due to a clot? The usual oral dose of citicoline for stroke due to a clot is 500-2000 mg per day. The first dose should be given within 24 hours of the stroke. This medication should be continued for 3 months for a complete recovery.
3. How should I store the citicoline drug? Store the citicoline in their original package at room temperature, away from moisture, heat, and light. Keep all the medicines out of reach and sight from children.
4. What is the dose of oral citicoline for Parkinson’s disease in adults? The usual oral dose of citicoline for Parkinson’s disease in adults is about 200-600 mg, to be taken in divided doses. Always consult a doctor to know the right dose for you.
5. Should I take citicoline with food? You may take the citicoline with or without food.