Clonotril 2 MG Tablet 15
Uses :Clonazepam is used to treat epilepsy or seizures, panic disorder, absence infantile spasms and other conditions such as fear of public places (agoraphobia).
Mode of drug action
Clonazepam belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. It acts by enhancing the action of gamma-amino-butyric acid (GABA); a signaling chemical in the brain. The increased activity of GABA helps to calm the excessive electrical nerve activity that is responsible for seizures and panic disorders.
What are the common side effects?
Clonazepam side effects include memory loss, blurred vision, altered sexual function, frequent urge to urinate, coordination disorder, dizziness, headache, sedation, increased saliva production, thickening of bronchial secretions, muscle pain, joint pain, and abnormal eye movements.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Breast feeding: Safe under medical guidance Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• After taking Clonotril medication, avoid activities which require alertness such as driving, operating heavy machinery.
• Keep the drug away from the reach of children as it may cause addiction.
• Avoid alcohol while taking Clonotril drug as it may worsen the side effects of the drug such as drowsiness and calmness.
• Patients with breathing problems, sleep apnea or lung disease, epilepsy, diabetes should consult the doctor before taking the drug.
• Patients with severe kidney, liver or lung problems, myasthenia gravis, depression, alcohol or other drugs abuse, spinal or cerebellar ataxia, porphyria should consult the doctor before taking the Clonotril drug.
• Avoid using Clonotril drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding as it may harm to the fetus.
• Consult the doctor immediately in case of difficulty in urinating, fainting, irregular heartbeat, or yellowing of skin and eyes.
What else should I know?
1. Is clonazepam addictive? Prolonged use may develop dependence and addiction.
2. Is it better to take clonazepam with or without food or empty stomach? Clonazepam can be taken with or without food, but it is better to take it at a fixed time.
3. Is clonazepam used to treat insomnia? No. clonazepam is not used for the treatment of insomnia. It is mainly prescribed to treat epilepsy, panic disorders or other conditions associated with fever.
4. I am on Clonazepam medication; I was scheduled for a dental surgery, do I need to temporarily stop the medication? No. Do not stop the medication without consulting the doctor. Inform your dentist about clonazepam use, so that they can adjust the dose of anesthesia to avoid the side effects.
5. Is it safe to continue clonazepam medication if am planning to become pregnant? No. Clonazepam is unsafe during pregnancy or planning to become pregnant and even during lactation.