Digene Gel (Strawbery)
Aluminium hydroxide is an antacid which is used for the treatment of stomach ulcers and gastroesophageal reflux disorder (a condition in which excess stomach acid comes into the oesophagus) and their associated symptoms. It is also given for kidney disease patients to reduce the phosphate levels. Magnesium aluminium silicate is a mineral used as a thickening agent in the medical preparations. It also prevents the caking of the suspensions. Magnesium hydroxide is a laxative agent which is used in the treatment of constipation. It acts as an antacid and is used for indigestion problems, heartburn, and sour stomach. Simethicone USES include providing relief from symptoms due to excess gas in the stomach and intestines causing hiccups, bloating, painful pressure, and fullness. It can be used both in adults as well as in children to relieve the symptoms.
How does the drug work?
Aluminium hydroxide is a basic compound which caUSES the neutralization of the stomach acid by combining with it. Thus, it reduces the amount of acid available in the stomach. Magnesium aluminium silicate absorbs water and thus, it caUSES thickening of the preparations. Magnesium hydroxide acts by increasing the water content in the intestine which helps in inducing defecation. Being basic in nature, this medicine also decreases the effect of stomach acid by neutralizing it. Simethicone belongs to a group of medications known as surface active agents. Simethicone drug is an antifoaming agent. It acts on the inner lining of the intestine and allows the gas bubbles to come together more easily, thereby, releasing the trapped wind.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of aluminium hydroxide are constipation, obstruction in the bowel, and loss of hunger. Within the prescribed doses, magnesium aluminium silicate does not produce any side effects. Side effects with larger doses of the compound are unknown. The common side effects of magnesium hydroxide include drowsiness and flushing (redness, warmth, or tingling sensation). The side effects of simethicone are rare but in some cases, it may cause allergic reactions.
• Do not use Digene drug in case of a previous allergic reaction to any of its ingredients. This is due the increased likelihood of having the reactions again.
• Before taking any other drugs, along with Digene medicine ask a doctor for confirmation. This is because of interference of the drugs in terms of their absorption or an increase in the risk of unwanted effects.
• Be cautious while using the Digene medicine if illnesses such as hypertension, heart or kidney problems, stomach and intestinal bleeding, appendicitis, sudden changes in bowel habits, and thyroid problems are present.
• Pregnant women, those planning for pregnancy and lactating females should talk to their physician before using Digene for acidity. This is to ensure safety of their baby.
• Do not discontinue the Digene drug without the doctor’s advice.
• For further details such as Digene medicine USES, side effects, dosage, etc. check the label.
FAQs :Aluminium hydroxide
1. How can I avoid constipation with aluminium hydroxide? You may take measures such as drinking excess water, taking fibrous foods or combining the aluminium hydroxide antacid with magnesium hydroxide containing antacids.
2. Can I take aluminium hydroxide and other drugs together? You should give a gap of at least 1 to 2 hours between the two drugs to avoid interference with the absorption.
3. How long can I take aluminium hydroxide tablets? You can take the aluminium hydroxide tablets for 2 weeks and not beyond that unless prescribed by your doctor.
4. Can I use aluminium hydroxide tablets to get relief from heartburn? Yes. Aluminium hydroxide is effective in relieving heartburn associated with excess stomach acid production.
5. What if I miss a dose of aluminium hydroxide tablets? Take the missed dose soon as you remember unless it is too late, in which case you should skip the missed dose and continue with the next dose. Do not double the dose by taking two tablets at once. Magnesium aluminium silicate
1. Does magnesium aluminium silicate benefit any health condition? Magnesium aluminium silicate is an excipient used to get the required dosage form of the preparation. It does not benefit any health condition.
2. How to store magnesium aluminium silicate? Store magnesium aluminium silicate in its original container, away from light and heat. Keep the product out of reach from children.
3. Is magnesium aluminium silicate safe for children? Yes. Magnesium aluminium silicate is safe for use in children within its prescribed limits. Magnesium hydroxide
1. How long can I use oral magnesium hydroxide? Magnesium hydroxide should not be used for more than 7 days without a doctor’s advice.
2. How to take magnesium hydroxide? Shake the oral suspension well before use. In the case of chewable tablets, chew them well before swallowing.
3. What happens with an overdose of magnesium hydroxide? Overdose of magnesium hydroxide produces symptoms such as severe diarrhea, weakness, reduced or no urination, irregular or slow heartbeat. Seek immediate medical attention.
4. What is the dose of magnesium hydroxide for constipation in adults? The usual dose for constipation in adults is 30-60mL of oral liquid either in divided doses or once daily. In the case of chewable tablets, 8 tablets may be taken per day either in divided doses or a single dose.
5. What happens if magnesium hydroxide is taken by the bedridden elderly patient? Magnesium hydroxide should not be taken by the bedridden elderly patients because of the risk of aspiration. Simethicone
1. Is simethicone an antacid? No. Simethicone is not an antacid, it a surface active agent.
2. Is simethicone safe for children? Yes. Simethicone is safe when used in prescribed doses.
3. Do simethicone tablets have any serious side effects? No. Simethicone tablets do not have any known serious side-effects. Few people may experience allergic reactions.
4. Is it safe to use simethicone during pregnancy? Yes, it is safe to use simethicone during pregnancy. However, consult your doctor before taking any medicine during pregnancy.
5. Is simethicone effective against acid reflux? Simethicone, when combined with an antacid, is effective in controlling acid reflux.