Donep M 5/5 MG Tablet 10
Uses :Donepezil is used to treat symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, dementia, memory loss, confusion and mood changes. Memantine is a drug used to treat dementia (moderate to severe) associated with Alzheimer's disease.
Mode of drug action
Donepezil is a piperidine derivative. Donepezil acts by reversible inhibition of cholinesterases such as acetylcholinesterase which inhibits hydrolysis of acetylcholine and results in the increased levels of acetylcholine at cholinergic synapses. Memantine acts by lowering down the chemicals in the brain which are associated with Alzheimer's disease. It blocks the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA)-receptors in the brain, thus, improving the signal transmission through the nerves to the brain.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of donepezil are Nervousness, irritation, frequent urge to urinate, abnormal urination, joint pain, behavioral changes, diarrhea, confusion, hallucination, muscle cramp, loss of appetite, headache, itching, and weight loss. The common memantine side effects include diarrhea, dizziness, and headache.
Pregnancy: Safe under medical guidance Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Donep M should be taken under the supervision of a doctor by patients with a history of epileptic seizures, heart attack, heart failure, and uncontrolled hypertension.
• Do not take drugs such as amantadine, ketamine, dextromethorphan along with Donep M.
• This medicine is not for use in children and adolescents below 18 years of age.
• Pregnant women should take Donep M medicine with a doctor’s advice to ensure safety of the newborn. Breastfeeding women may either withhold the drug or feeding based on the risk.
• Take the exact Donep M dosage as prescribed by the doctor. Higher dose can lead to unwanted Donep M side effects.
What else should I know?
1. Does Donepezil intensify lung disorders? Yes, the Donepezil drug may intensify lung disorders.
2. What is the effect of Donepezil tablet during pregnancy? Donepezil is unsafe during pregnancy, as it may affect the fetus.
3. Is Donepezil safe in children? Donepezil is used with caution in children. Consult doctor before using the drug.
4. I am suffering from Parkinson disease. Can I use Donepezil drug? Donepezil may cause serious side effects when used in condition of Parkinson disease.
5. I am on NSAIDs. Can I take Donepezil tablet? No, donepezil increase the risk of stomach bleeding with NSAIDs. Memantine
1. Should I inform my doctor that I have changed my diet to a strict vegetarian diet while taking the memantine medication? Yes. You need to inform your doctor that you have shifted from a normal diet to a strict vegetarian diet. This is because you may need dose adjustment.
2. What is the dose of memantine for Alzheimer’s disease treatment? The normal dose of memantine hydrochloride for the treatment of memory problems associated with Alzheimer’s disease is initially 5 mg per day. This is increased to 10 mg twice daily during the maintenance period.
3. Can I drive while using memantine hydrochloride? It is better not to drive due to the possibility of memantine side effects which can impair alertness.
4. What happens with an overdose of memantine drug? You will be more likely to have increased symptoms with an overdose of memantine which needs immediate doctor’s consultation.
5. Is it common to have seizures with memantine hydrochloride? No. It is a rare side effect of memantine hydrochloride.