Eptoin 50 Mg Injection 2 Ml
Phenytoin is used to treat seizures, especially in patients who underwent brain surgery. Phenytoin is used to control and prevent seizures (fits).Off-label phenytoin use includes treatment of irregular heartbeats.
Mode of drug action:
Phenytoin reduces the maximal activity of the brain stem points that are responsible for causing tonic phase of generalized tonic-clonic seizures.
What are the common side effects?
The side effects of phenytoin are vomiting, constipation, dizziness, nausea, and headache. Nervousness, loss of coordination, and difficulty sleeping may also occur. Phenytoin may also cause bleeding and swelling of gums.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Breast feeding: Safe under medical guidance Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use:
• Avoid Eptoin if the patient is allergic to phenytoin or any of its ingredients.
• Do not stop taking Eptoin medication abruptly. A gradual reduction of drug is recommended by the doctor to avoid side effects.
• Do not alter the dosage without consulting the doctor, as the alteration in the dosage may worsen seizures.
• Do not use calcium or calcium supplements when you are on Eptoin. Taking calcium products along with the drug may decrease the action of Eptoin.
• Do not skip the dose. Maintain Eptoin dose at constant levels in the body to get maximum benefits. Use the medicine at the same time every day.
• Eptoin may cause dizziness and drowsiness; therefore, activities such as driving and operating machineries should be avoided.
• Alcoholics should use Eptoin drug with high caution, as alcohol may increase the blood levels of the drug. Take the dose as suggested by the doctor.
What else should I know?
1. I am on phenytoin since 9 months. I am pregnant can I continue the drug phenytoin? Phenytoin use is unsafe in pregnant women. You should consult your doctor whether to decrease the dose or to stop the Epsolin ER medication.
2. I am diabetic. Can I use phenytoin medication? Phenytoin may raise your blood sugar levels. Regularly check your blood sugar levels while using medication phenytoin. However, consult your doctor before using the drug.
3. What is the loading dose of phenytoin? It depends on the patient’s health condition. Normally 15-20mg per kg of person’s weight is recommended as a loading dose.
4. Does phenytoin cause memory loss? Phenytoin medicine may cause memory loss. It is considered as a minor side effect. Consult your doctor immediately if you notice any serious side effects.
5. Can I take phenytoin with milk? Yes, phenytoin tablet can be taken along with milk.