Folitrax 20 MG Injection 1 ML
Methotrexate are used to treat many cancers such as breast, skin, head and neck or lung cancer. Methotrexate uses also include treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and severe psoriasis.
Mode of drug action :
Methotrexate belongs to a class of drugs known as antimetabolites. Methotrexate tablets are known as cytotoxic as they act by stopping the growth of cells in tumors. It also acts by decreasing the activity of the immune system by blocking several enzymes of the immune system which affects the growth of cancerous cells.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of methotrexate include sensitivity to light, skin lesions, dizziness, hair loss, chills and pain or difficulty while passing urine.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Breast feeding: Unsafe Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Avoid Folitrax in case of allergy to methotrexate.
• Avoid Folitrax during pregnancy, or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
• Patients with severe kidney or liver problems such as fibrosis, cirrhosis, and recent hepatitis should consult a doctor before taking Folitrax.
• Avoid Folitrax with food, as it may interact and reduce its absorption.
• Consult the doctor in case of unusual bruising or bleeding, or signs of infection.
• Consult the doctor immediately in case of upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice, shortness of breath, dry cough, blood in your urine, or little or no urinating.
• Avoid being pregnant while on Folitrax medication. Folitrax use by either parent may cause birth defects.
• Men should continue using safety measures (condoms) for at least 90 days after Folitrax treatment ends. Women should continue birth control measures for at least one cycle of ovulation after the treatment ends.
What else should I know?
1. Is methotrexate safe in children to treat psoriasis? No. Methotrexate is recommended in children only for cancer chemotherapy.
2. Is it safe to drive after taking methotrexate medication? No. If may feel dizzy, tired, or get a blurred vision after taking methotrexate. So avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
3. Is methotrexate safe to take with antibiotics? No. Methotrexate interacts with few antibiotics such as amoxicillin or Bactrim. Always consult your doctor before taking the medications.
4. Is it safe to take alcohol when on methotrexate medication? No. Alcohol can increase the risk of liver damage when taken with methotrexate.
5. My husband has finished with the treatment of methotrexate 1 month ago. Is it safe to plan for pregnancy now? No. Men should take precautionary measure for at least 90 days after methotrexate treatment ends. Methotrexate use by either parent may cause birth defects.