Frisium 5 MG Tablet 15
Uses :Clobazam is used as an adjuvant therapy for Lennox-Gastaut syndrome - seizure in adults and children of two years and older. It is also used as an adjuvant therapy for schizophrenia. Clobazam uses also include the short-term management of severe anxiety.
Mode of drug action
Clobazam belongs to the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines act on nerve cells in the brain. Overstimulation of nerve cells leads to seizures and inappropriate nerve stimulation leads to anxiety. Clobazam acts on the GABA receptor to stimulate the release of GABA, which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter. GABA inhibits nerve transmission and reduces anxiety.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of clobazam are drowsiness, confusion, headache, difficulty speaking, difficulty urinating, cough, dry mouth, shortness of breath, rashes, itching, nausea, vomiting, changes in appetite, and fatigue.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Breast feeding: Safe under medical guidance Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Don’t drive or operate heavy machinery and avoid alcohol as Frisium tablet can cause drowsiness.
• Don’t stop the medication without prior consultation with the doctor as it may lead to withdrawal symptoms such as headache, confusion, tremor, irritability, and anxiety.
• Frisium dosage may need adjustment in elderly people and individuals with hepatic and renal impairment.
• Patients with a history of alcohol abuse, myasthenia gravis, and respiratory disease should not take the medication.
• Stop taking Frisium drug if there is the development of allergic reactions and seek medical help immediately.
What else should I know?
1. What is clobazam used for? Clobazam is used as an adjuvant therapy for seizures and schizophrenia. It is also used for the treatment of anxiety.
2. Can I stop taking clobazam when the symptoms subside? No. You should not stop the medication without your doctor’s advice. Sudden withdrawal of drug may show effects such as headache, confusion, irritability, and anxiety. Therefore, clobazam is made to stop with a gradual dose reduction regimen.
3. What should I do when a dose of clobazam is missed? Take the medication as soon as you remember. If it is time for next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with the regular schedule.
4. Can clobazam be crushed? You should swallow the medication as the whole. But if there is a difficulty with swallowing, you can crush the drug and swallow by mixing it with applesauce.
5. Is clobazam addictive? Use of benzodiazepines can lead to physical dependence or addiction. Likewise, regular use of clobazam (a benzodiazepine) may lead to addiction.
6. What are the effects due to chronic use of clobazam? Use of clobazam for a long duration may lead to hypotension, respiratory depression, coma, and death.