Gardenal 60 Mg Tablet 100
Gardenal contains phenobarbitone as an active ingredient. Phenobarbitone is a derivative of phenobarbital which is used in the treatment and prevention of seizures. It is also used on a short-term basis to cause sedation (sleep), thereby, helping in relaxation.
How does the drug work?
Phenobarbitone belongs to the class of medicines called barbiturates. It acts by inhibiting the GABA-receptors, thereby, slowing down the activity of the brain and the nervous system.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of phenobarbitone include drowsiness, dizziness or spinning sensation, lack of energy, depressed mood, feeling excited (especially seen in children or older adults), drunk feeling or "hangover" effect.
Important Information for use
• People with bone marrow depression should not use Zepcar CR medicine.
• Avoid the Zepcar CR drug if an allergic reaction was seen with an earlier use of carbamazepine.
• Do not take any other antidepressant drugs along with Carbafen tablet. If a MAO-inhibitor drug was used in the past 14 days, then do not take Zepcar CR.
• Call the doctor immediately in the case of skin rash, unusual weakness, bleeding and fever. This is because of the chances of Carbafen side effects such as life-threatening skin rash.
• Continue the Zepcar CR medication for the full length prescribed by the doctor.
• Pregnant women should not start or stop using Zepcar CR unless instructed by the doctor.
• Don’t get exposed to sunlight due to the risk of sunburn with Zepcar CR.
• Do not take grapefruit juice while using Zepcar CR.
1. How should I take phenobarbitone tablets? Take the phenobarbitone tablets with a glass of water, before or after food, but at the same time every day.
2. What is the dose of phenobarbitone drug for treating seizures in children? The normal dose of phenobarbitone for children in the treatment of seizures is initially 15-20 mg per kg body weight, to be taken orally. However, it is better to consult a physician for the appropriate dose.
3. Is it effective to use phenobarbitone medicine for causing sleep for prolonged periods? The action of phenobarbitone to induce and maintain sleep reduces after 2 weeks of continuous use.
4. What is the effect of phenobarbitone overdose? Overdose of phenobarbitone can lead to cold or clammy skin, lowered urine volume, pinpoint pupils, shallow breath, and fainting. It needs immediate help from health care providers.
5. Is phenobarbitone a habit forming drug? Yes. Phenobarbitone makes a person dependent on it which needs a progressive increase in the dose. Therefore, do not allow others to use your medicines.