Ideben Tablet 10
Idebenone is a drug used to treat an inherited disease of the nervous system called Friedreich ataxia and Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy. It is also used to treat Alzheimer's disease.
Mode of drug action :
Idebenone is an oxidant which protects the cells from damaging free radicals. It also increases the energy production by the cells.
What are the common side effects?
The side effects which are common with idebenone are nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, allergic skin rash, sleeplessness and confused state.
Special precautions for safe use
• Ideben drug should be avoided if a previous allergic reaction was seen with the use of idebenone.
• During the Ideben medication, a regular monitoring of blood cell count and liver functioning are required.
• In the case of liver problems, Ideben medicine should not be taken.
• Tell the doctor if kidney problems are present before taking the drug Ideben.
• Children below 8 years of age should be given the Ideben drug with extra care.
• Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take the Ideben.
• Elderly patients are an increased risk of Ideben side effects. So, a cautious use is required.
What else should I know?
1. Is idebenone same as coenzyme Q10? Idebenone is an artificial form of coenzyme Q10.
2. What is the dose of idebenone to treat Alzheimer's disease? The usual dose of idebenone to treat Alzheimer's disease is about 90-120 mg, thrice daily. However, ask a doctor for the right dosage instructions.
3. Is idebenone an approved drug? Yes. Idebenone is an FDA approved drug.
4. Is idebenone better than coenzyme Q10? Idebenone is more efficient than coenzyme Q10 as it works under low oxygen levels.
5. What if I miss a dose of idebenone? Take the missed dose as soon as your remember. However, if it is too late, skip the missed dose and take the next dose at its usual time.