Isotroin 0.05 % Gel 15 Gm
Isotretinoin is used for treatment of severe acne, which has the risk of permanent scarring if left untreated. This medicine is used when the other acne treatments such as antibiotics do not work.
How does the drug work?
Isotretinoin belongs to retinoids group of drugs. It works by contracting the size of sebaceous oil glands, thus, reducing the production of sebum. It also reduces inflammation associated with moderate acne.
What are the common side effect?
The common isotretinoin side effects are dryness of skin, lips, nose and eyes.
• Isotretinoin medicine should be given only to adolescents and adults who have crossed 12 years, after puberty.
• Isotretinoin treatment should be under the supervision of a dermatologist (a skin specialist).
• Women who are pregnant, have a plan for pregnancy or are breastfeeding should not take isotretinoin tablets. This is due to the risk of severe birth defects or even death of the baby even with a single dose of the drug.
• Take necessary pregnancy prevention measures while using isotretinoin capsules.
• Do not use Isotroin if a hypersensitivity reaction was seen in the past with isotretinoin or pea nuts or soya.
• Isotroin is not safe for use in patients with liver damage, high levels of vitamin A, and high cholesterol in blood.
• Before using any other medicines (especially tetracycline antibiotics), inform a doctor. The doctor may either choose a different dose or change the drug to avoid unwanted interactions.
• Never suggest this medicine to any other person with severe acne.
• Take the exact isotretinoin dosage as prescribed by the dermatologist.
1. How long should I avoid pregnancy while undergoing isotretinoin treatment? Do not get pregnant during the entire course of isotretinoin treatment (about 16-24 weeks) and also for a month after completing the treatment.
2. Does isotretinoin cause any side effects on the sperm in males? No. Isotretinoin does not damage the sperm or cause any side effects which can harm the unborn baby of the partner.
3. What precautions should I take while using isotretinoin for acne? While using isotretinoin drug for acne, you must use a moisturizing cream and a lip balm to prevent dryness of skin and lips. Also, use a sun-protection cream with an SPF of minimum 15 due to the sensitivity of skin to the sun while using Isotroin.
4. Can I undergo cosmetic skin treatment during Isotroin therapy? Do not undergo any kind of cosmetic treatments for skin during Isotroin therapy. This is because your skin will become more sensitive while on this treatment.
5. Is driving vehicle safe after taking isotretinoin tablets? Driving is not safe soon after taking isotretinoin. This is because of the chances of visual disturbances during nights, drowsiness and dizziness with the drug. 6. How should I take isotretinoin tablets? Take the tablets with food. Swallow them without crushing or chewing.