Jalra M 50/500 MG Tablet 10
Uses :Metformin Metformin which helps to reduce blood sugar levels. It is mainly prescribed for the management of type 2 diabetes. It is prescribed either as mono therapy or in combination with other antihyperglycemic drugs. It helps to prevent kidney damage, blindness, and nerve disorders in the diabetic patients. It is also prescribed for the treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). However, metformin is not prescribed for the treatment of type 1 diabetes. Vildagliptin Vildagliptin is used to control blood glucose levels in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Mode of drug action
Metformin Metformin is an oral antihyperglycemic agent which is mainly used to treat hyperglycemia. It reduces blood glucose levels by decreasing the glucose absorption from the gastrointestinal tract, improves the insulin sensitivity by increasing the uptake of glucose into muscle and inhibits biosynthesis of glucose from amino acids. Vildagliptin Vildagliptin belongs to a class of drugs called dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors. Vildagliptin acts by making the pancreas secrete more insulin and less glucagon thereby controlling the blood glucose levels.
What are the common side effects?
Metformin The common side effects reported for metformin are acidity, belching, bloating, heart burn, loss of appetite, metallic taste in mouth, vomiting, weight loss, and stomach pain. In rare cases, patients have reported having abnormal stools, joint pain, flu-like symptoms, runny nose, sneezing, swollen joints and discoloration of finger nails or toe nails. Vildagliptin Vildagliptin side effects include cough, dizziness, nasopharyngitis, headache, constipation, and increased sweating.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Unsafe
Special precautions for safe use
• Jalra M is recommended to be taken with food to avoid stomach upset.
• Follow the instructions of the physician for safe use. Jalra M lowers the blood glucose levels and may cause hypoglycemia resulting in headache, hunger, sweating, confusion, irritability, and dizziness.
• So always carry a source of sugar such as fruit juice, hard candy, crackers, and raisins to reduce the symptoms of hypoglycemia.
• Patients taking Jalra M medicine should undergo regular blood glucose monitoring to prevent possible side effects.
• Long-term use of Jalra M (metformin) may cause vitamin B12 deficiency resulting in peripheral neuropathy. So, patients taking metformin for more than 6 months should be closely monitored for the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy.
• In very rare cases, it is reported that long-term use of Jalra M causes lactic acidosis which is rare, but very serious metabolic complication caused due to accumulation of metformin.
• Patients who are on long-term metformin therapy should undergo regular monitoring of renal functioning to reduce the risk of lactic acidosis.
• Avoid taking Jalra M if you have hypersensitivity to metformin or other medications.
• Pregnant and breast-feeding patients should consult the physician before taking Jalra M as it can harm the fetus and baby.
• Jalra M is not prescribed to control blood sugar levels in the children younger than 10 years old.
What else should I know?
1. What should I do if I miss a dose? If you forget to take the medication at the usual time, you must take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for the next dose, you must skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
2. Are there any storage precautions for metformin? Store the medication at room temperature (25°C) and away from direct heat. Keep the drug out of reach of children.
3. Should I take vitamin B12 supplements with metformin? Long term use of metformin may cause vitamin B12 deficiency in few patients. You should consult your doc-or and discuss it. Do not take vitamin B12 supplements without your physician’s prescription.
4. Is metformin effective for the type 1 diabetes? No. Metformin is not effective for the treatment of type 1 or juvenile diabetes
5. What are the non-diabetic uses of metformin? Metformin is used to treat PCOS in women. You must discuss with your doctor before taking metformin for the condition.
1. Is vildagliptin an FDA approved drug? No, it is not approved by FDA, however, it is marketed in India, US, Canada and other countries.
2. I am experiencing weight gain after taking vildagliptin, can I discontinue the medication? Vildagliptin therapy does not show any effect on weight gain. However, consult your doctor, if you experience weight gain.
3. Is vildagliptin better than sitagliptin? Vildagliptin and sitagliptin belong to the same class of drugs and are equally effective and safe in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
4. Can I use insulin safely with vildagliptin? Yes. Insulin can be safely used with vildagliptin. However, consult your doctor before taking the medications.
5. Is it safe to drive after taking vildagliptin? No. Avoid driving and operating heavy machinery as it may cause dizziness.