Katadol Tablet 10
Flupirtine is used to treat severe ongoing pain caused due to arthritis and back pain. It is also used to treat severe chronic pain.
Mode of drug action :
Flupirtine is a derivative of non-opioid alkaloid. Its analgesic activity is by the partial agonist activity at mu-opioid receptors. It also acts on kappa-opioid receptor. Flupirtine binds to Mu and kappa receptors, which results in hyperpolarization and reduces neuronal excitability.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of flupirtine are dry mouth, nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, and difficulty in emptying the urinary bladder, loss of appetite, nasal congestion, chest congestion, dry throat, and dry skin.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Take Katadol drug as prescribed. Avoid overdose and use the drug for not more than 2 weeks.
• Before taking Katadol, inform the doctor regarding current health conditions like liver problems, alcohol abuse problems, etc.
• Katadol is contraindicated in pregnant and breastfeeding women as the safety of the drug is not been established in these people.
• Stop taking the drug if there are signs of liver problem or any symptoms related to side effects of the drug. Itching, fatigue, and dizziness are few of the side effects of the drug.
• It is not safe to drive or operate any machinery while on Katadol as the patients may experience dizziness or fatigue, which are common side effects of the drug.
What else should I know?
1. Is flupirtine addictive? Yes, flupirtine may be addictive; you should not take more than the prescribed dose.
2. What if I overdose? Flupirtine belongs to the non-opioid group. Misuse or overdose of codeine may cause breathlessness or death. Seek medical advice immediately.
3. Can I give flupirtine to my 8-year-old child to treat tonsils? No, you should not give flupirtine to children. Consult your doctor to know the risks and benefits of the drug.
4. I am on flupirtine since 3 days. I experience bowel obstruction. Can I discontinue the drug? Bowel obstruction is the common side effect of flupirtine. Report it to the doctor if the condition may not get better in few days.
5. Can I breastfeed my child while taking flupirtine? No, you should not breastfeed while taking flupirtine medicine, as it may affect the baby.