Lacosam 10 Mg Injection 20 Ml
Lacosamide is an anti-epileptic medicine or anti-convulsant drug. It is given in combination with other medicines in the treatment of partial-onset seizures.
How does the drug work?
Lacosamide acts by slowly inactivating the gated channels of sodium in the brain. Thus, the sodium is unavailable for depolarization, stabilizing the neural membranes by reducing the neural firing.
What are the common side effect?
The common lacosamide side effects are dizziness, double vision, headache, nausea (feeling sick).
• It is not advisable to take Lacosam tablet if an allergic reaction has been experienced with lacosamide in the past.
• This medicine should not be taken by patients with heart rhythm disturbances such as AV block.
• Lacosam should be used with caution in the patients with conditions such as heart, liver or kidney problems, diabetes, or a history of depression, and suicidal tendencies.
• There is a high risk of birth defects in the unborn baby with the use of Lacosam during pregnancy. Thus, pregnant and lactating women should take the medicine only under a doctor’s supervision.
• This medicine is not for children below 16 years of age.
• Tell the doctor about the other medicines taken along with Lacosam. The doctor will decide if taking these medicines together with Lacosam is safe.
• Do not drive or undertake activities requiring high alertness after taking this medicine. It is because of the risk of blurred vision and dizziness with Lacosam.
• For safety, alcohol consumption during Lacosam medication should be avoided.
• Take the medicine exactly as directed by the doctor. This helps to reduce or avoid the unwanted effects associated with the drug use.
• You may have to take Lacosam for your whole life or as suggested by the physician. So, do not stop the medicine without asking a doctor.
• Read the package leaflet for lacosamide dosing, USES and other safety information.
1. What are the uncommon side effects of lacosamide? Having hallucinations is an uncommon side effect with lacosamide medication.
2. How should I store the liquid form of lacosamide drug? Store the liquid form of lacosamide drug in refrigerator but do not freeze. Keep it away from reach of children.
3. What should I do in case I forget taking a tablet of lacosamide? If the time left for the next dose is less than 6 hours, then skip the missed dose and take the next dose at its usual time. Do not take two doses at once.
4. How should I take lacosamide tablet? Take the tablets with or without meals. Swallow the tablets with water, without crushing or chewing them.
5. What is the dose of lacosamide drug for seizures treatment? The usual starting dose of lacosamide for the treatment of seizures is 50 mg, to be taken twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening. This may be later increased up to 100 mg twice daily over a week.