Lantus Starter 100 Iu Injection 3 Ml
Insulin glargine is used in diabetes mellitus to control high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia).
How does the drug work?
Insulin is a natural hormone produced by the pancreas. Insulin maintains the blood sugar levels by binding to the alpha subunit of insulin receptor and stimulates tyrosine kinase. The bound receptor activates insulin receptor substrates proteins. Activation of IRS proteins stimulates glucose transporter 4 and protein kinase, which play a key role in metabolism.
What are the common side effect?
The most common insulin glargine side effects are anxiety, behavior change, convulsions, drowsiness or dizziness, confusion, fat accumulation, headache, redness of the skin.
• Do not use Lantus drug if there are low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemic) or in case of diabetic ketoacidosis as Lantus may worsen the condition.
• Do not share the insulin pen with others, sharing the insulin pen may allow the diseases such as HIV or hepatitis to spread from one person to other.
• Insulin glargine is only a part of the treatment. The diabetes mellitus treatment may also include weight and food control, regular exercises, eye and dental care, and regular sugar level monitoring is suggested.
• Lantus should not be given to the children below six years of age to treat type 1 diabetes.
• Do not use any oral diabetic medications such as pioglitazone or rosiglitazone, while using Lantus, as it may increase the risk of heart problems.
• Do not freeze insulin or store it in a very cool place. Do not use frozen insulin.
• Remove the needle from the insulin pen after every use. Do not store the insulin pen along with the needle.
1. How long is Lantus safe if kept out of the fridge? Lantus is safe at room temperature for up to 28 days. Do not use open Lantus insulin after 28 days.
2. How long does Lantus last in the body? Lantus is estimated to last around 18-26 hours in the body. However, take the medicine as suggested by the doctor.
3. I am using Lantus insulin. Is there any danger of overdose? No, insulin glargine is released at steady and prolonged state. It maintains the constant insulin levels in the body.
4. Does insulin glargine look clear or cloudy? Insulin glargine solution should be clear. Do not use if the solution is unclear or cloudy.
5. Do I reduce or gain weight by using Lantus? You may gain weight by using Lantus. Consult your doctor immediately if you notice serious complications.