Lanum C 500 MG Tablet 10
Calcium carbonate is a dietary calcium supplement which is used for the treatment of hypocalcemia or low blood calcium levels. It is also used to treat osteoporosis, heartburn, indigestion, and hyperphosphatemia in patients with chronic renal failure.
Mode of drug action :
Calcium Carbonate supplements calcium in the diet. It also prevents absorption of phosphate from the gastrointestinal tract in people with kidney disease.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of calcium carbonate are constipation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, flatulence, indigestion, increased thirst, and abdominal pain.
Pregnancy: Safe under medical guidance Breast feeding: Safe under medical guidance Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Avoid Lanum C if an allergic reaction has been experienced in the past with any of its ingredients.
• The individuals taking Lanum C should avoid consumption of alcohol because it may decrease the absorption of the drug and reduce its benefits.
• Special precautions must be followed if kidney impairment or calculi, heart disease, diabetes, and bleeding disorders are present.
• Take care while performing activities which increase the risk of bleeding such as shaving, brushing, etc.
• Lanum C must be used with caution in pregnancy and lactation. Sometimes, excess intake may cause hyperphosphatasemia or hypercalcemia.
What else should I know?
1. Is calcium carbonate good for health? Calcium carbonate is a dietary calcium supplement and can be used to treat low blood levels of calcium.
2. Is calcium carbonate used to treat osteoporosis? Osteoporosis occurs due to low calcium levels. Calcium carbonate, a calcium supplement, can help in treating and preventing osteoporosis.
3. Can calcium carbonate be taken with milk? Yes. Consuming foods fortified with vitamin D can enhance calcium absorption. So, you can consume milk, egg yolks, or fish along with the use of calcium carbonate.
4. Can calcium carbonate be taken with food? It is preferable to take calcium carbonate after a meal as the acid produced in the stomach during digestion can help in calcium absorption.
5. Is calcium carbonate safe during pregnancy? Calcium carbonate can be used safely during pregnancy as a calcium supplement. However, it is recommended to consult a doctor before taking the medication.