Lopez 1 MG Tablet 10
Lorazepam is used for the short-term treatment of anxiety, insomnia and sleep disturbances due to anxiety. Drug lorazepam is also used to relax the patients before undergoing surgery, including dental surgery.
Mode of drug action :
Drug lorazepam belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. It acts by enhancing the action of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA); a signalling chemical in the brain. The increased activity of GABA helps to calm the excessive electrical nerve activity that is responsible for anxiety.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of lorazepam include severe drowsiness, unusual changes in mood, hallucinations, confusion, loss of coordination, vision problems, an urge to urinate, change in the appetite, and stomach upset.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Breast feeding: Safe under medical guidance Alcohol: Unsafe Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use
• Avoid Lopez in case of pregnancy, as it may cause congenital abnormalities.
• Do not use Lopez if suffering from myasthenia gravis (neuromuscular disorder) or glaucoma.
• Do not share medication Lopez with anyone especially with the persons who have a history of drug addiction or drug abuse.
• Alcohol may potentiate Lopez side effects. Therefore, avoid alcohol while taking lorazepam.
• Patients with a history of epilepsy should use drug Lopez with caution, as it may cause severe convulsions. However, discuss with the doctor before taking the medicine.
• Accidental falls are common in elders who take Lopez.
• Do not discontinue the Lopez abruptly as it may cause unpleasant symptoms such as convulsions. Ask the doctor how to safely withdraw the medication.
What else should I know?
1. I am allergic to valium (allergic medicine), is Lopez safe for me? No, you should not use Lopez if you are allergic to valium and other similar medications.
2. What is the safe dose of medication lorazepam? Commonly recommended dosage is 2 – 4mg. But the dose may also depend on your condition. Overdose may lead to coma. Prolonged use may also cause addiction to the drug.
3. I am 15 years old. Can I use drug lorazepam for sleeplessness? No, lorazepam is not recommended for anyone younger than 18 years.
4. What are the other forms of drug lorazepam? Medication lorazepam is available as oral solutions, injectables apart from tablet form.
5. For how long can I use the Lopez? The patient should not use the drug for more than four weeks; as it may cause addiction. However, consult your doctor before withdrawing the therapy.