Mifetab Tablet 1
Misoprostol is used in combination with another drug such as mifepristone to avoid pregnancy. It is also used to prevent stomach ulcers especially while taking NSAID’s. it is also used to reduce the serious ulcer complications such as bleeding. Misoprostol also protects stomach lining by lowering the amount of acid production.
How does the drug work ?
Misoprostol inhibits gastric acid secretion by acting directly on prostaglandin receptor of parietal cells. It indirectly inhibits adenylate cyclase mediated by G proteins. This significant action of misoprostol is related to several mechanisms of the body such as increased secretion of bicarbonate, replacement of prostaglandins etc. it is increases the frequency and amplitude of uterine contractions.
What are the common side effects ?The commonly known side effects of misoprostol are nausea, stomach cramps, dehydration, dizziness, decreased urination, mental or mood changes, muscle weakness, and slow or irregular heartbeat.
Important Information for Safe Use:
• Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant should avoid Mifetab, as it may harm both mother and the fetus.
• Persons taking Mifetab may feel dizzy or drowsy, so avoid tasks that need mental alertness such as driving or holding heavy machinery.
• Do not take anticoagulants (warfarin, heparin) or corticosteroids (prednisone) while using Mifetab, as these drugs may increase the risk of bleeding and side effects of Mifetab may worsen.
• Women with an intrauterine device (IUD) should not take Mifetab, as it may cause vaginal infection.
• Do not use the Mifetab drug if the women have ectopic pregnancy (outside the uterus). Check with the doctor incase of such instances.
• Follow the instruction of the health care provider or read the patient information label carefully before taking the Mifetab to know about the risks and benefits of the drug.
1. Does misoprostol cause unwanted hair growth? Yes, misoprostol has androgenic side effects such as unwanted hair growth in females.
2. Does misoprostol delay periods? Yes, your period is delayed beyond the date you expected your period when you take misoprostol.
3. Can I use misoprostol as a routine contraceptive? No. It is not recommended to use as a routine contraceptive pill. It is only an emergency contraceptive pill.
4. Is misoprostol used to treat acne? No, in fact, it causes acne as a side-effect.
5. Is misoprostol an over-the-counter (OTC) drug? It is available both as OTC and prescription drug. Do not use this drug without consulting your doctor.