Osteofos 5 Mg Tablet 10
Alendronic acid is used to treat osteoporosis. It is also used to prevent bone loss in menopausal and post-menopausal women. Additionally, alendronic acid is used to rebuild bone and reduce the risk of spine and other bone fractures.
How does the drug work?
Alendronic acid belongs to the group of bisphosphonates. It acts by inhibiting farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase, an enzyme in the mevalonate pathway. Inhibition of this enzyme prevents the biosynthesis of isoprenoid lipids which are responsible for the osteoclastic bone resorption. Inhibition of the osteoclastic bone resorption prevents bone loss.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of alendronic acid are esophagitis, rash, gastrointestinal discomfort, abdominal pain, constipation, difficulty in swallowing, flatulence, headache, heartburn, muscle pain, and decreased phosphate level.
• Patients with problems in esophagus should avoid Osteofos tablet.
• Individual having low blood calcium levels should not take Osteofos drug.
• Osteofos tablet is not recommended in the patients who cannot sit or stand for at least 30 minutes.
• Do not take Osteofos tablet in the conditions such as stomach ulcers, and bleeding or if scheduled for surgery.
• Conditions such as hypothyroidism or vitamin D deficiency should be treated before starting the Osteofos treatment.
• Do not take Osteofos drug during bed time. Do not lie down after taking the drug until you have had something to eat.
1. What should I avoid while taking Alendronic acid tablet? Do not take Alendronic acid drug with mineral water, coffee, tea, juice, or milk. Take the drug with plain water.
2. I am on dialysis. Can I take alendronic acid tablets? No, patients with kidney problems should not take alendronic acid tablets.
3. What is the recommended Alendronic acid dose? The recommended dose of Alendronic acid is one tablet a week. However, consult the doctor before taking the drug.
4. Is alendronic acid safe in pregnant women? No, alendronic acid is unsafe in pregnant women.
5. What if I overdose on Alendronic acid tablet? Drink a glass full of milk and seek medical advice immediately.