Pradaxa 75 Mg Capsule 10
Pradaxa contains the active ingredient called dabigatran, a drug used to reduce the risk of stroke and prevent the formation of clots within the blood vessels. It is used in patients with an irregularly fast heartbeat of the upper chambers of the heart. It is used to prevent and treat conditions such as deep vein thrombosis, and pulmonary embolism.
How does the drug work?
Dabigatran is an anticoagulant drug that inhibits the action of a chemical compound called thrombin which is involved in the formation of blood clots.
What are the common side effect?
The most common side effects of dabigatran are stomach pain or upset, ulcers, diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, and nausea.
• Avoid Pradaxa if an allergic reaction has been experienced in the past with dabigatran, the active ingredient.
• Pradaxa should not be taken by people with active bleeding disorders, artificial heart valves, and severe kidney disorders.
• Take a doctor’s suggestion before using any over-the-counter medicines, herbal medicines or any dietary supplements along with Pradaxa tablet.
• Pradaxa medicine is not indicated for children.
• The drug should be avoided by people with serious intestinal problems such bleeding or perforation or obstruction.
• People with stomach or intestinal bleeding, kidney diseases, those who are planning for heart valve replacement should use the Pradaxa medication with caution.
• Pregnant and breastfeeding women should take the drug with a doctor’s supervision to avoid the serious effects of Pradaxa on the baby.
• Ask a physician regarding the Pradaxa indications and safety concerns. Do not exceed the prescribed dose. It can increase the Pradaxa side effects which overweigh the Pradaxa USES.
• Do not suddenly stop taking Pradaxa as it can increase the risk of bleeding.
1. What happens if I take aspirin while using Pradaxa blood thinner? Aspirin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) which increases the risk of bleeding when taken together with Pradaxa which is already a blood thinner. Talk to your doctor if you have to take them together.
2. What should I do if I miss a dose of Pradaxa? If you remember about your missed dose at less than 6 hours before the next dose, then you should skip the forgotten dose and take the next dose at its scheduled time. Do not take a double dose at once.
3. Is there an antidote for reversing the actions of Pradaxa? Pradaxa can lead to an increased risk of bleeding. This can be reversed by using the Pradaxa antidote, idarucizumab which is an approved drug for this use.
4. Can I undergo surgery while taking Pradaxa? Usually, surgeries are associated with an increased risk of bleeding which is much more while taking Pradaxa. Therefore, inform your surgeon that you are taking this drug.
5. How should I store the Pradaxa medicine? Store the drug in its original package at a temperature ranging from 15-30 degrees. Keep it out of reach from children. Do not use the bottled Pradaxa medicine beyond 4 months of opening the bottle.