Rimactane 300 Mg Capsule 4
Rifampicin is mainly used in combination with other drugs to treat tuberculosis (TB) and leprosy. Rifampin is also used for the treatment of meningitis (infection of membranes of the brain and spinal cord) or other infections.
How does the drug work?
Rifampin is known as a broad-spectrum antibiotic which means it kills a wide range of infection causing bacteria. Rifampicin blocks the activity of DNA-dependent RNA polymerase (bacterial enzyme) essential for important life processes in the bacteria, thereby killing them.
What are the common side effect?
Rifampicin side effects include nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, hemolytic anemia, abnormal liver function tests, jaundice, acute renal failure, irritation of ear, allergic skin rash, reduced blood platelets, fever, drowsiness, and headache.
Important Information for use
• People with bone marrow depression should not use Zepcar CR medicine.
• Avoid the Zepcar CR drug if an allergic reaction was seen with an earlier use of carbamazepine.
• Do not take any other antidepressant drugs along with Carbafen tablet. If a MAO-inhibitor drug was used in the past 14 days, then do not take Zepcar CR.
• Call the doctor immediately in the case of skin rash, unusual weakness, bleeding and fever. This is because of the chances of Carbafen side effects such as life-threatening skin rash.
• Continue the Zepcar CR medication for the full length prescribed by the doctor.
• Pregnant women should not start or stop using Zepcar CR unless instructed by the doctor.
• Don’t get exposed to sunlight due to the risk of sunburn with Zepcar CR.
• Do not take grapefruit juice while using Zepcar CR.
1. Is rifampicin similar to penicillin medications? No. The structure and mechanism of action of rifampicin is different from that of penicillin.
2. Is rifampicin used to treat nasal infections? Yes. It kills the bacteria in the nose and throat thereby treating the nasal infections.
3. What happens if I take rifampicin irregularly? You may experience episodes of fever, chills, dizziness, headache, and bone pain which is commonly known as flu syndrome.