Tugain 2 % Foam 60 Gm
Minoxidil topical solution is used for the treatment of male pattern hereditary hair loss (alopecia androgenetica) in both men and women. Minoxidil tablets are also used to treat severe hypertension.
Mode of drug action:
Minoxidil belongs to the class of drugs known as vasodilators. It acts by stimulating the hair growth in early and moderate stages of hair loss. The drug minoxidil increases the diameter of the hair shaft, prolongs the growth phase of the hair follicle and enhances blood flow to hair follicles thereby stimulating the growth.
What are the common side effects?
The common side effects of minoxidil include abnormal hair growth on face and body, increased hair growth, headache, and skin rash.
Pregnancy: Unsafe Breast feeding: Safe under medical guidance Kidney dysfunction: Caution required Liver dysfunction: Caution required
Special precautions for safe use:
• If the reason for hair loss is unknown, consult the doctor before using Tugain drug.
• Inform the doctor before using Tugain medication, in case of a history of heart problems (breathless, wheezy or tired and swelling of ankles) or chest pain or heart attack.
• Be careful before using the solution Tugain as it is flammable. Avoid smoking, naked flame or strong heat source while using the solution.
• Stop using Tugain medicine and consult the doctor, if side effects related to low blood pressure such as chest pain, dizziness, fainting, rapid heart rate, swollen hands and feet and redness of the scalp are noticed.
• Patients who are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding should consult the doctor before using the Tugain drug.
• Patients allergic to minoxidil should avoid Tugain.
• Adolescents under 18 years and elderly above 65 years of age should consult the doctor before using Tugain.
What else should I know?
1. Does minoxidil topical solution cause acne? Yes, minoxidil topical solution may cause acne. If you notice any such side-effects consult your doctor.
2. Is minoxidil solution effective for frontal baldness? Minoxidil is effective in frontal baldness as it is a type of hereditary hair loss.
3. Does minoxidil solution stimulate the hair growth of the beard? Minoxidil solution is used only on the scalp for hair growth in patients with hair loss. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use for the beard.
4. Is minoxidil a steroid? No, minoxidil is a vasodilator, not a steroid.
5. My 16-year-old child is experiencing hair loss due to unknown reason can I use minoxidil for the hair regrowth? No. Adolescents under 18 years old should not use minoxidil solution. Consult your doctor to known the reason for the hair loss.