Vertin 32 Mg Tablet 10
Betahistine is used to treat vertigo, tinnitus and hearing problems associated with Menier’s disease. It is also used to treat nausea associated with vertigo.
How does the drug work?
Betahistine is similar to natural substance called histamine. An imbalance of the fluid present in the inner ear caUSES nausea, dizziness, spinning sensations or hearing loss. Betahistine acts on the histamine receptors by improving the blood flow and reducing the pressure of the fluid present in the inner ear and relives the symptoms such as hearing loss and dizziness.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of betahistine include feeling sick, headache, indigestion, vomiting, abdominal pain, bloating, skin reactions such as hives, rash or itching, and allergic reactions such as swelling of face, throat, and tongue.
• Vertin tablet is a histamine analogue and when used with antihistamines such as cetrizine, it is less effective. So, avoid using betahistine with cetrizine.
• The drug should be taken only after the meals to reduce its side effects.
• The drug should be used with caution in the patients with peptic ulcer and asthma.
• The drug should be avoided by the patients who are allergic to betahistine.
• Additional monitoring is required in the patients taking monoamine-oxidase inhibitors as they may increase the blood levels of betahistine.
1. I am using loratadine for allergic rhinitis. Can I use betahistine to relieve nausea and dizzness? Loratadine is an antihistamine and should be avoided while taking betahistine as it decreases the effects. Consult your doctor before taking the medication.
2. Can I use betahistine for relieving tinnitus and dizziness if I have peptic ulcers? No. Betahistine may increase the risk of excess acid production in the stomach and can worsen the condition. Seek medical advice before taking the drug.
3. Is betahistine drug used to treat giddiness? Yes. Betahistine is used to treat giddiness and tinnitus. Follow your doctor’s advice regarding the use of the drug.
4. Can I use betahistine during pregnancy? No. The safety of betahistine in pregnancy is not yet established. You must seek medical advice before using the drug.
5. What should I avoid while taking betahistine? One of the common side effects of betahistine is drowsiness. Therefore, you must avoid driving and working on heavy machines while taking the drug.