Vitalpha 0.25 Mcg Softgel 10
Alfacalcidol is used to treat symptoms of rickets and osteomalacia such as softening and deforming of bones. It is also used to treat symptoms caused due to osteodystrophy (kidney failure). Alfacalcidol is used to correct calcium levels in the newborn.
How does the drug work?
Alfacalcidol is a vitamin D3 hormone. It is activated by 25-hydroxylase enzyme in the liver, the active form of vitamin D3, calcitriol binds to intracellular receptors that increase the reabsorption of calcium in renal tubule, GI absorption, osteoclastic resorption thus ensures a large amount of calcium availability in the body.
What are the common side effect?
The most reported alfacalcidol side effects are frequent urination, swelling of body parts, dry mouth, thirst, skin rashes, itching, urticaria, feeling sick or weak.
Important Information for use
• People with bone marrow depression should not use Zepcar CR medicine.
• Avoid the Zepcar CR drug if an allergic reaction was seen with an earlier use of carbamazepine.
• Do not take any other antidepressant drugs along with Carbafen tablet. If a MAO-inhibitor drug was used in the past 14 days, then do not take Zepcar CR.
• Call the doctor immediately in the case of skin rash, unusual weakness, bleeding and fever. This is because of the chances of Carbafen side effects such as life-threatening skin rash.
• Continue the Zepcar CR medication for the full length prescribed by the doctor.
• Pregnant women should not start or stop using Zepcar CR unless instructed by the doctor.
• Don’t get exposed to sunlight due to the risk of sunburn with Zepcar CR.
• Do not take grapefruit juice while using Zepcar CR.
1. I am diagnosed with renal calculi. Can I use alfacalcidol? No, patients with renal calculi should not take alfacalcidol drug.
2. I am 65 years old. Can I use alfacalcidol? Alfacalcidol should be used with caution in elderly, as they are sensitive to the side effects of alfacalcidol.
3. What is the effect of alfacalcidol in pregnant women? Alfacalcidol is prescribed to pregnant women only if needed. Consult your doctor before using the drug.
4. I am on digoxin. Can I use alfacalcidol? No, concomitant use of alfacalcidol with digoxin is not recommended due to worsening of side effects.
5. How is the alfacalcidol dose prescribed in children? Alfacalcidol is prescribed to children depending upon the weight. Discuss with your doctor the dosage and usage of the drug.