Vitaresp M 5 Mg Tablet 10
Montelukast is a leukotriene receptor antagonist most commonly used for the chronic treatment of asthma. It is used to treat hay fever and allergy caused due to pollens, animal fur, house dust or mites. It also helps to prevent caused by exercise.
How does the drug work?
Montelukast is a cysteinyl leukotriene receptor blocker which is used to treat asthma and to alleviate the symptoms of allergy such as coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, running nose, chest tightness. Leukotrienes are the inflammatory mediators that are produced by leucocytes. These inflammatory mediators cause inflammation, swelling of airways, bronchoconstriction, and increases mucous production due to which patient develops asthma and has difficulty in breathing. Montelukast binds to cysteinyl leukotriene receptors that are present on the lungs and smooth muscles of bronchi and inhibits the effects of leukotrienes. Montelukast is also used to prevent asthma attacks caused by exercise.
What are the common side effect?
The common side effects of montelukast are abdominal pain, allergic reaction, shortness of breath, joint pain, chest pain or tightness, fatigue, weakness, headache, bloody nose, increased sweating and joint pain.
Important Information for use
• People with bone marrow depression should not use Zepcar CR medicine.
• Avoid the Zepcar CR drug if an allergic reaction was seen with an earlier use of carbamazepine.
• Do not take any other antidepressant drugs along with Carbafen tablet. If a MAO-inhibitor drug was used in the past 14 days, then do not take Zepcar CR.
• Call the doctor immediately in the case of skin rash, unusual weakness, bleeding and fever. This is because of the chances of Carbafen side effects such as life-threatening skin rash.
• Continue the Zepcar CR medication for the full length prescribed by the doctor.
• Pregnant women should not start or stop using Zepcar CR unless instructed by the doctor.
• Don’t get exposed to sunlight due to the risk of sunburn with Zepcar CR.
• Do not take grapefruit juice while using Zepcar CR.
1. How should I use this medication? Montelukast should be taken with or without food preferably after food with a glass of water. It is recommended to take the medication in the evening as montelukast may cause dizziness or drowsiness. However, consult your physician before use.
2. Are there any storage precautions for montelukast? Store the medication at room temperature (25°C) and away from direct heat and sunlight. Keep the drug out of reach of children.
3. What long-term effects I might experience with montelukast? Montelukast may cause Churg-Strauss syndrome which is characterized by increase in the number of eosinophillis so the patients should take blood test and should consult the physician immediately if the symptoms of asthma
4. Is used for exercise-induced asthma? Yes. Montelukast can be used to treat exercise-induced asthma in combination with other medications.
5. Can I take any other medications along with montelukast? You must discuss with your doctor before taking any other medications.